Clunk when turning left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkonblk99yukon

Reaction score
Hello everybody, my name is Steve and I'm new to the forum. I bought a 99 Yukon in October. Was in the market for a 2 door but ended up getting a 4 door because it was a great deal! 95K miles, tinted, dash trim kit, white face gauges, billet grille, 31X10.5 pro comp tires with american racing rims, etc. Paid $2000 for it. In the ad the guy said it had a "unsafe clunking sound" coming from the front. One problem I noticed right away was the inner tie rod on the driver side was skipping threads on the adjusting sleeve, I replaced the rods and sleeve before I drove it home. I still had a clunk on left turns and on little bumps in the road, but nothing like the tie rod jumping. Upon further inspection I noticed the lower shock bolt was loose, tightened it up and now the clunk on little bumps is gone but I still have a loud clunk if I turn left, especially on bumps. I have had it on a jack and on a lift, shook the wheel every which way, pulled and pried on everything, checked the cv boots, EVERYTHING looks fine! Nothing is loose, ripped, torn, missing, etc. I can turn right on bumps goin 20-30 mph and no sound, I can take a left going 10 and it's CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK coming from the front left I can feel it under my feet pretty good. My only guess now is somebody hit a curb very hard, maybe damaging the cv joint? It's getting worse now at 98K miles and I'm planning on going out of town this weekend so want to fix ASAP! Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to describe my problem as accurate as possible. Other than this issue I love my Yukon!

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds almost crazy, but check the u joints on the drive shaft. my 99 seemed like it made a clunk when turning left, then it started happening all the time. also cv joints. does it get worse in 4x4? if not it might not be drivetrain

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this on my Tahoe, turned out to be the upper cam adjusters for the upper control arm. When I had a front end alignment the bolts weren't tightened enough and worked loose.