Could use some advice on a 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Origin

Reaction score
Hi guys. Last October my parents bought an Audi SUV and I inherited the 2001 Tahoe LT 4x4. My last vehicle was a 2WD 1993 Ford Explorer Sport that I paid $2300 for in 2003. I've been wanting a 4x4 for quite a number of years now, and now I have one... yay!

So, my step-mom bought the Tahoe used, about 10 years ago and has been punctual with the oil changes and maintenance. The vehicle is in pretty good shape, looks nice, runs quiet. I have used it in 2WD and 4WD in ice and snow and mild "off road". However, the Tahoe is approaching 300,000 miles. It has a slow oil leak, my dad says it's between the engine and the firewall. It has a slow coolant leak somewhere. They have had work done on this vehicle... he said he's had the engine worked on as well as axles/4x4 aspect of it. The air conditioner needs to be fixed.

Overall I've only had these minor problems with it, but would I would like to know is at 300k miles, is it worth investing money in? Keep in mind the trade in/resell value is only about $2800, I paid $1 for it. I could trade it in for something newer, but I really don't want car payments. I haven't had a car payment since 1999 and don't care to start now. I don't mind putting money into the vehicle if it's worth it, and the money I'll save on car payments will allow me to do so.

I don't know exactly what cost I will be incurring, but I would like to do these things at least:

Small lift, maybe 3 inches.
New wheels and tires.
Brush guards and winch.
have engine rebuilt or replaced as needed
have transmission rebuilt, replaced or beefed up as needed.
Suspension checked out to ensure ruggedness and reliability.
Speakers replaced.
Moderate interior work. (dashboard is worn in some spots, leather seats could use refurbishing)
New paint job. (It's in good condition, no rust, but a few small dents on the fenders and what not.)

So... when taken in whole, I could easily spend several thousand dollars making this Tahoe into a good looking, tough All-Terrain vehicle. I'm wondering if some of you have an opinion as to whether it's worth it. Buying another used vehicle would cost me at least $5-$15k, but it'd be later model with less wear and tear. I don't mind sinking some money into this to get it where I want, but I don't want to polish a turd nor put up with a money pit.

As I said, it's my first 4x4, it is in pretty good condition, but at 300k miles I'm just worried it's past its prime. If I can get another 10-20 years out of this with a few thousand dollars, and have a dependable 4x4 vehicle that will take me where I want to go I'll be happy. I don't do hardcore offroading, but would like to be able to get in and out of places for camping, mountain biking, bugging out during natural disasters (hey, you never know!).

And constructive advice would be appreciated. Thanks.