DD Nav in my 01.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jk, very nice work sir. If you were within a 4 hour drive of me i would come to you for the quality detailed install.:thumbsup:

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by the way how do you like the PIONEER dvd/nav system? i pick out that same unit myself

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
by the way how do you like the PIONEER dvd/nav system? i pick out that same unit myself
I really like the unit. I really like the fact that it automatically recalibrates to the larger wheel/tire combo I have, so the nav is right on. Has a lot of nice cool features. I'm sure you'll love it.

jclay5

Reaction score
JK,

I sure would like to know the specs on those FBed brackets. Also what kind of material were the brackets made out of. Trying hard to get this done by some professionals , but not many will touch it. My pioneer z2 is just sitting in a box :(

jclay5

Reaction score
install

JK,

I sure would like to know the specs on those FBed brackets. Also what kind of material were the brackets made out of. Trying hard to get this done by some professionals , but not many will touch it. My pioneer z2 is just sitting in a box :(

JK,

One more thing I'm going to have to do this install myself, because no one in Knoxville, Tennessee wants to mess with it. I also need to know if you used the GM/bose/with onstar wiring harness. Crutchfeild wants 129.99 for it and I was curious as to what you used and if you knew somewhere to get it cheaper.

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great JK...

:sidenote: if anybody finds a installer in DC/MD/NoVa area to do this install at reasonable price please shoot me a pm...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
JK,

I don't have the exact dimensions on hand. I should have took all the measurements and layed out a blueprint for reference. The brackets need to be about 1/2" thick on both sides. I used 1/2" MDF. You'll have to measure where the original brackets are in correlation to the the housing of the original radio. Then you need to measure where the mounting holes are in the new radio and drill your holes in the new brackets to match. The measurements have to be precise so it sits in the dash perfect. Use something that will measure in a smaller scale such as mm or 32nd of an inch to get more precise figures.
JK,

One more thing I'm going to have to do this install myself, because no one in Knoxville, Tennessee wants to mess with it. I also need to know if you used the GM/bose/with onstar wiring harness. Crutchfeild wants 129.99 for it and I was curious as to what you used and if you knew somewhere to get it cheaper.

I overhauled the entire system and didn't use a harness. But if you have Bose and On-star, you'll have to use a harness like the GM-OS1 from PAC or something similar. You'll have to check around, but the harness will be expensive. If you don't plan on using the On-star, you won't need that harness. I quit using my On-Star a while back so I didn't need to integrate it.

GregCoTX

Reaction score
1.5 DIN?

Just bought a '02 LT 4WD. Anyone know of a 1.5 DIN Navigation/Video head unit out there? or a CD Player head unit with iPod and Bluetooth? Trying to not have to modify the bezel if I don't have to.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a '02 LT 4WD. Anyone know of a 1.5 DIN Navigation/Video head unit out there? or a CD Player head unit with iPod and Bluetooth? Trying to not have to modify the bezel if I don't have to.

Navigation I think your going to have to go with a din flip out or DD. Pioneer use to make a 1.5 din radio w/o ipod support, i beleive.

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can't find a 1.5 din anywhere... I think I'm just going to just go with this single din http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=168550&i=105KDNX500&tp=75

that head unit does everything I need BT, ipod, navigation, DVD's, Divx, it even rips mp3's directly to its harddrive, I just wish it were 1.5 din...

a short video review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBHIeGjIHjg

JHOLLAND727

Reaction score
Very Interested In Doing This Myself, Are The Brackets Available To Buy Elsewhere Or Is This A Custom Job By You. If Its Custom, What Would You Charge To Nake A Set. Same Truck As Yours, Except On A A/v Diet. ALSO DOU YOU KNOW WHO REPLACES LIGHTING ON THE HVAC PANEL BUTTONS A/C, DEFROST, RECIRC, ETC?

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally got up the nerve to do the double din mod to my 01... the radio is the new Kenwood DNX8120 The 8120 doesn't blend with the dash as well as the pioneers do (having the stock look) but it is so feature rich I am 100% satisfied with my purchase... anybody still on the fence about attempting this mod, go for it... this was 1st stereo install ever, and I didn't encounter any major problems

Attachments

• Photo_050808_000.jpg
    Photo_050808_000.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 118

littleflyer

Reaction score
Thanks JK. GREAT post...

Sorry i asked what you answered here in my other post. my brain is jelly already reading so many posts.

jasb

Reaction score
How was the wiring for this? Is there a wire harness or adapter wire kit for easy plug in? Did everything work or were there any issues with any other electrics, like door chime ect. Very nice install! Does any place do this type of install for pay, like custom stereo places, Best buy? What about stereo depth issues?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
How was the wiring for this? Is there a wire harness or adapter wire kit for easy plug in? Did everything work or were there any issues with any other electrics, like door chime ect. Very nice install! Does any place do this type of install for pay, like custom stereo places, Best buy? What about stereo depth issues?

There are various harnesses/adapters available, depending on your vehicle's year model and equipment (i.e. standard Bose, premium Bose, On-star, etc). I didn't use anything since I scrapped everything stock and installed all new equipment (4 ch amp, mono amp, speakers, etc.).
Some shops will mod the dash, some won't. Your best bet would probably be a local custom shop. Places like Best Buy, Circuit, etc, usually don't perform extensive custom work beyond making a bracket to mount a satellite radio unit or something like that.

marietta_ken

Reaction score
Nice job by both of you guys. Question -- why are there such voids on right and left sides of opening? Is the Double DIN width not the same as our 1.5?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Nice job by both of you guys. Question -- why are there such voids on right and left sides of opening? Is the Double DIN width not the same as our 1.5?
Any aftermarket stereo, whether single din or double, aren't as wide as the stock GM unit.