Do the tahoes have a factory rear-end locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2008Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears that after I do any sort of off roading when i get back onto pavement the rear-end is locked. Then it pops out after making a nice loud snap. Im geussing theres lockers in the rear-end for the posi. I guess this means I need a new rear. Anyone else have this problem? Im gessing the loud pop is not normal.......:nonod:

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look in your glovebox if it says g80 then you have one

do a search on youtube for the g80 they show how it works.....most people floor it and when the g80 kicks in they get out of what ever trouble theyre stuck in and they do that a bunch of times which causes them to explode so "easily"

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the G80, what it does is when one wheel is spinning 100 rpm more than the other, the mechanism moves outward and locks the still wheel. It stays this way until you let off the gas, and I'm not sure that's what you're seeing. People blow these things up all the time because they mash the gas and when it catches it might be going 5 or 10 times fster than it's supposed to be.

2008Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do have the G80 code. The problem seems to be unlocking. It locks up fine when offroading, its when I get back on the paved roads it seems to stay locked.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why they're known in the off road community as "Gov-BOMBS"... :rolleyes: I'd definitely have your's checked by the stealership, sounds like the locker may have some issues...as was said, it operates on a "one wheel spins 100rpm+ more than the other" principle, a weighted mechanism falls and locks the rear end up...unfortunately, this design can lead to dramatic failure if it tries to lock up under massive torque loads!

If you are really into off roading your Yukon, I'd look into something a bit better. If you are just an occasional wheeler who dos 99% street driving, then go with a limited slip posi type "locker" (although they're really not that great at the "locking part" in tough terrain), or do a selectable locker like an ARB Air Locker or an Electric locker. I'd suggest avoiding the Detroit Locker since they are not ideal for a truck that sees a lot of pavement driving (the constant clanks and bangs wears on you fast - every time I drive the old K5 on the street with the Detroit, it's an adventure!)

Anyways, long story short, have it checked out...shouldn't be snapping at you on the highway unless you're doing full on burnouts or something! :thumbsup:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
That's why they're known in the off road community as "Gov-BOMBS"... :rolleyes: I'd definitely have your's checked by the stealership, sounds like the locker may have some issues...as was said, it operates on a "one wheel spins 100rpm+ more than the other" principle, a weighted mechanism falls and locks the rear end up...unfortunately, this design can lead to dramatic failure if it tries to lock up under massive torque loads!

If you are really into off roading your Yukon, I'd look into something a bit better. If you are just an occasional wheeler who dos 99% street driving, then go with a limited slip posi type "locker" (although they're really not that great at the "locking part" in tough terrain), or do a selectable locker like an ARB Air Locker or an Electric locker. I'd suggest avoiding the Detroit Locker since they are not ideal for a truck that sees a lot of pavement driving (the constant clanks and bangs wears on you fast - every time I drive the old K5 on the street with the Detroit, it's an adventure!)

Anyways, long story short, have it checked out...shouldn't be snapping at you on the highway unless you're doing full on burnouts or something! :thumbsup:
It is also a good thing you have that 100,000 mile drive train warranty too.