doing first time maintenance on 99 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vash

Reaction score
I just got a 99 Tahoe LT 4 door 4x4 last Saturday and I've started doing some maintenance to it. It has just over 209,000 miles on it and it sat for a year and before that I'm not sure. So far I have done new e3 plugs, 8mm wires, cap & roter, map sensor, maf sensor, egr valve, acdelco serpentine belt, K&N fuel filter, specter air filter, royal purple oil and filter, and seafoamed the old fuel and ran premium. I was getting just over 13 mpg before I started the maintenance hopefully a little better after. I'm planning on getting o2 sensors, tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, shocks, brakes all around, and rebuild or buy a rear axle (the previous owner said it would need one eventually but I haven't noticed anything yet) also fix the ac by next summer. Is there anything else that I should do? Any issues these things usually have? Also I have a brake line leak somewhere in the rear but have as yet to find it but I need to fix before winter hits!!! Is there anywhere that is typical for this to happen?

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the Rear wheel cylinders for a leak.....

Sounds like you replaced a lot of stuff that may not have been needed, may bite you in the butt.....

Any pix of your rig?

Fuel pump is also another failure part, use an AC Delco or Delphi unit ONLY if you replace it......

vash

Reaction score
This is the only pic I have right now. The check engine light was on and the code was for the EGR, after I replaced it no more light. the map sensor was pretty bad as well, but the maf sensor was probably ok. Plugs were bad, 2 broke as I was removing them. And i found the brake leak or at least the area. Its on the main line running to the rear just above the drivers rear tire. The line is all rusted so I'll probably just run a whole new line.

Attachments

• tahoe.jpg
    tahoe.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 10

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad lookin rig.... Green isn't a bad color, rear barn doors can be a PITA sometimes tho....

vash

Reaction score
What issues do the barn doors have? I found the brake leak and replaced the entire line so now I'll have brakes for the winter :happy107: YEAH Now I just have to get brake pads, rotors, drums and shoes then I should be set for the winter and i can start saving to fix the AC. So far my maintenance hasn't had any negative effects, millage is still the same though was hoping for at least a 1 mpg gain but oh well. When I got the distributor cap and rotor I found that 1 of the screw holes to hold it down to the distributor cap is broke so only 1 screw is holding it down, no issues with it so far but I guess I'll have to get another distributor or find a way to latch the side that can't screw down. Hopefully my maintenance is almost over and I wont have to do all this again for a few years I hope.

Last edited: