Dual Battery Set Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bayou_visions

Reaction score
I'm interested in a dual battery set up for my 97 Tahoe 2 DR.

Has anyone added a second battery - if so did you use a kit or wing it?

I want the battery on the charging system to keep it fresh. I am undecided on where to mount it. I have a Storage Box on the drivers side front in the engine compartment that can be removed and the battery mounted there - or I can mount it in a sealed box in the cargo area incorporated into the vault I'm building to hold all my camera equipment.

I want to clean up the cargo area a bit and need a lockable storage area due to Insurance coverage for my equipment. I will have the slide outs filled with closed cell foam cutouts for my cameras, lenses etc. I'm making this out of aluminum and want to have a space under it to store the spare tire, instead of it sticking up in the back with the factory spare / jack mount.

I'm debating on making the slide out work off a motor / switch on rails and have yet to decide on what I will cover the unit with. I would also like to mount a couple of 6.5" speakers that can be rotated front to rear similar to the rear speaker pod design I seen on this forum (the one that replaces the 4x10's with 6.5" speakers) I have a brand new set of Kenwood's waiting to be installed.

It's in the drawing board stage so if anyone has any suggestions please post. Always open to suggestions from you guys and I will be documenting this project with images and instructions. The vault could be use for a number of things... hunting / fishing gear - camera equipment - camping gear - tailgating etc.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are new...There is a "Search" button on the top. Another member this passed week installed a second battery in truck with a COMPLETE write up. Even though it was on a newer HOE the concept is the same.

Read it...take it all in...then ask questions.

Welcome to the Forums and GOODLUCK

bayou_visions

Reaction score

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JKMotorSports is the one who did the writeup. Look up his profile, then search his threads, you should find it.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently finished my dual battery install. In the beginning my intent was to use a diode setup and purchased one (200A because my alternator is 180A) but ended up going with a relay setup because that diode device took up so much room.

It is a relatively simple task to accomplish this if you use the space on the drivers side corner to mount the aux battery. I mounted the relay near the main battery then used the wire that runs to the distribution box for the output of the relay. I bought a set of battery cables to connect the battery + to the input of the distribution box with the wire that is there (now from from the relay). I also put a 150A breaker between the relay and the aux battery.

Here is the relay I used: http://www.toyota120.com/GenDocs/dualbattsep.pdf

If you or anyone else is interested in a 200A diode separator, I have one cheap.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the dual batts in mine a couple months back. the "proper" way is to use a battery isolator and blah blah to keep your charging system fresh, but i never got around to buying one. i just have the batteries ran in parallel (ish) and havent had any problems. Now, i wouldnt suggest it, but if you dont feel like spending the money, ive never seen an isolator as a necessity...
ran dual batts in an RSX for 18 months with no issues as well and no iso. and thats a smaller alt. like i said, it may not be "proper", but just my 2 cents...

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you asking for it? I'm interested.

Took me awhile but I wanted to go out to the garage and locate the device to get the part number (along with Christmas and year end stuff to deal with). It is actually a 240A isolator.

I purchased this from Wrangler Power Products (but can't find it on their website now) and have never used it.

Here are a couple links:

http://www.dan-marc.com/25-24023a.html

http://www.rvparts.com/product-25-24023A

First $50 takes it. Send me a PM if you're interested.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DOh! I took a look under my hood to contemplate a dual battery setup... and it turns out the 2nd battery tray exists(on drivers side), as well as the hold down clamp... just like the normal battery location (passenger side).

Unfortuneately, some sort of EGR or emissions (perhaps because it's a California vehicle?)unit is on the 2nd battery tray. Has anyone dealt w/ this? Can the thingy on the batt tray be removed, or relocated? Has anyone done this?

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats the evap canister. i moved mine to the fan shroud and had to cut

the hose shorter to plug back on it.

on 96 that canister is mounted on the side of the batt tray so you might
have to find one in the junk yard if you want to mount it there

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're lucky if yours is just an EVAP canister... I think mine is the air pump for CA smog... it looks like a hefty unit, on a bracket, and has hoses running to both headers. Can this be relocated?... or if removed, will it trigger anything? I think I recall someone saying that these were standalone units, and nobody will miss it if it's gone (I'll have to get new headers too w/o the bungs for the air pump)

I'd love to go dual battery someday...