DVD in '02 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwilsondelk

Reaction score
I have a '02 Yukon SLT. I also now have two kids that like TV and would like to have a DVD player installed in the ceiling. I've looked around and I don't think they offered a rear seat DVD entertainment system on the '02 models. What is the best way for me to get this. Could I use a system designed for a '03:confused: ??

wilboytsk

Reaction score
hwilsondelk said:
I have a '02 Yukon SLT. I also now have two kids that like TV and would like to have a DVD player installed in the ceiling. I've looked around and I don't think they offered a rear seat DVD entertainment system on the '02 models. What is the best way for me to get this. Could I use a system designed for a '03:confused: ??

I have a 2003 tahoe and installed an indash dvd player in the second open slot right below the smaller one. There's a 8.5 tft widescreen dropdown that hangs right where the A/C controls/dome lights used to be. That was removed to fit the drop down screen. These systems are universal and can be installed on your 2002. I chose the separate dvd player vs. the all in one units just because its easier to load the dvds in the front instead of reaching in the back to load on those all in one units. Hope this helps.

slamkeys

Reaction score
My 2002 has the factory-installed DVD in the overhead console. They offered an Audiovox unit that consists of a head unit below the 2nd row seat on the driver's side, and the flip-down screen in the overhead console.

The screen is pretty small (7 inches?) but on the plus side, I can still use my rearview mirror when it is down. People with the big 10 inch screens have noted that they can't use the rearview mirror at all when the screen is down.

When I bought mine I was surprised that I had to open the glove box, flip the FM Modulator switch, and then tune the FM stereo to 89.1 in order to hear the DVD over the stereo system. However, my kids like using the wireless headphones, so that's what we normally do so I can listen to the stereo while they watch movies.

I like the fact that they can change disks without bothering me, so I wouldn't want the head unit up front.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can wire up the '03 model LCD screen without any issues.

Another option is to get the cheap package from Wal-Mart that includes two screens and a DVD player for $150. They strap to the back of the headrests.

Last option is if you're into modding, you can pick up some 7" screens off ebay for cheap and wire them into the headrests pretty easily. Then wire up a dash DVD player into the bottom of the center console (there's plenty of room below it, or you can outfit your own custom center console) so the kids have access to it. Hook it up to a wireless headset receiver. Or you can get a custom headunit (who wants the factory, anyway?) and wire the DVD player to its aux input.