Edge Evolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought and installed the Edge Evolution on a 2008 Z71 Tahoe.

I am about to make about a 1000 mile road trip so I will fill all of you in on the mileage gain on Economy mode.

One note....when you order it, be sure to tell them that you have dash style "B" and they will send you the right mounting pod

Eric

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a lesson learned. If you get any DIC errors like "Service 4WD" or "Service Suspension" etc while under an Edge program, when you put it back to stock to take it in to the dealer, these events are wiped. So needlesstosay the dealer will tell you the events were never logged.

An Edge tech verified that the DIC event logs do get wiped during programming.

Of course I won't tell the dealer that I have an Edge :)

So now I'm back to running stock program and I have already received a couple of "Service 4WD" events. Now I can take it back to the dealer so they can see the events.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting.. do you have pics of it mounted with the correct dash mounting pod "B"?

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am leaving tonight on my trip and i am still waiting to get the mounting pod "B" shipped to me

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my road trip was canceled this morning. I guess thats what happens in the oil industry. But it wont be long before I go on another long trip so I will let everyone know how it turns out.

I will post some pics as soon as the mounting pod comes in and I get it installed.

Renny

Reaction score
I have the pod kit and it is a really good match for the color of the gray dash. The design is good and does a decent job integrating into the dash curves. IMO though, the pod is very gimmicky and slightly cheesy. I used it for about a month and removed it because I didn't want to have the display. If your into those kind of accessories then it may be for you but I am more into the "sleeper" look so it just didn't work for me.

Overall, the edge is a very good product though. It boosted my fuel economy in the 50 - 55 mph range to 22-23 mpg. I have the 5.3L with 3.73 rear end. In the city I am getting about 13.5 and I tend to drive agressively to beat lights etc. At higher speeds in the 70+ range I can get around 17.5 MPG.

I am most impressed with the mid range results. If only I was able to cruise on roads like that more often....

It also, really opened up the throttle response. I am starting to get the feeling like the rear end or tranny is starting to suffer as a result (hard shifts etc) but that may just be my imagination or the tranny reprogramming that the edge performed.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I filled up with 93 octane today and put the Evolution in "Extreme" mode and HOLY CRAP the engine came alive!!!!

The transmission shifts are awesome and the whole power band is definitely stronger.

I have not driven enough to tell how bad it sucks down the gas but I will see soon. When driving normal though the Instantaneous MPG seems to be about the same as "normal" settings if not a little bit better MPG. I am curious to see what it will pull on the highway at about 70-75 mph.

Give me a few days and I will report again.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I drove about 150 miles straight highway and pulled 17.1 MPG with the Evolution in "Extreme" mode with 93 octane and cruising 65-70 MPH

on the way back I put in the normal 87 octane and put the Evolution in "Fuel Economy" mode and pulled an amazing 19.9 MPG cruising 65-70 MPH

Before I had the Evolution I was getting 17.5-18 MPG on the highway with 87 octane

so far the Evolution is working out great and it will pay for itself here shortly

oh and about the mounting pod...apparently pod B only comes in gray while i have a black dash...also the mounting pod doesnt look as good as i thought it would so i think i will just run the "stealth" mode

TallyDAWG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressive. Any other mods or updates?

well I drove about 150 miles straight highway and pulled 17.1 MPG with the Evolution in "Extreme" mode with 93 octane and cruising 65-70 MPH

on the way back I put in the normal 87 octane and put the Evolution in "Fuel Economy" mode and pulled an amazing 19.9 MPG cruising 65-70 MPH

Before I had the Evolution I was getting 17.5-18 MPG on the highway with 87 octane

so far the Evolution is working out great and it will pay for itself here shortly

oh and about the mounting pod...apparently pod B only comes in gray while i have a black dash...also the mounting pod doesnt look as good as i thought it would so i think i will just run the "stealth" mode

TallyDAWG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated. With the rise of gas to $4/gal then every mile counts and the EDGE could pay for itself.

no other mods and still working on getting a city mileage for the fuel economy mode

njgsx96

Reaction score
Bringing this one back so we don't clutter the board with individual Edge posts.

I am looking to pick up an Edge Evolution for a 2008 Tahoe with the 5.3L. Not every place I go to order online however lists the Tahoe even though it is listed as Chevy/GMC 5.3L compatible. I am assuming the Chevy/GMC 5.3L unit will work in the Tahoe but wanted to be sure because the price difference on some of these sites is astounding. Is there a specific part number I should be looking for?

Also, where can I find the best pricing for these units?

Thanks guys!

Rich

seanxtreme3000

Reaction score
I have an 08 Z71 tahoe an compared to the o6 Z71 i think its very slow. will this programer make a huge diffrence, i know it did in my F250 diesel i have ( i cant keep the tires planted) i am ofcourse not camparing my tahoe motor to the diesel but compared to the 06 its very slow. but i do love it. any other sugestions on how to make it a little more powerfull. and do i have to use 93 octane all the time.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the evolution was a great purchase for me and if you run 91+ octane you can run it on extreme mode and you will see excellent gains

engine and transmission really come alive

best part is if you run 93 octane and put it in fuel economy mode and cruise down the highway you will pull 20 or more mpg

when you get back to town put it in extreme mode and you will love it

i highly highly recommend it