electric brake controller plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr dean

Reaction score
Do you have voltage at the center pin on the 7 pin plug when it is in reverse? If you have both wires hooked up then maybe it is one of those two fuses. Dean

TARJr

Reaction score
no, I have no voltage on that pin when in reverse. I do have 12 volts on both fuse posts under the hood. What could be causing this?
Which fuse controls this center pin?

mr dean

Reaction score
Get out your owners manuel and look for fuses and fuse locations for back up lights. Then test the fuse. Oh, buy the way are your vehicle back up lights working when put in reverse? Dean

hyperlite91193

Reaction score
Update On Install

To Genestoy and Kpanza - Thanks for all your help! Couldn't of done it without ya!

Other than hooking up my trailer (since I currently store it quite far away), the Brake Control is installed!

Gene's install instructions were dead on. In fact, I wish I knew where you found them, since the wiring instructions that came with the Controller were outdated!

So for those of you that may need specifics on everything for an install I'll summarize in one message.

Wiring Harness - Under the Dash
It's there... just takes a while to find as it is bunded with a bunch of other wires. They are also pre-stripped with electical tape on the ends. They also have a white tag as well indicating what each of the 4 wire are used for.

2 Red Wires - Under the Hood
  • Red Wire #1 - Is located between the fender and the fuse box. This will require an 8mm nut to secure to the terminal post on the front of the fuse box.
  • Red Wire #2 - Is located below the brake master cylinder. This will require a 6mm nut to secure to the terminal post on the front of the fust box.

Wiring Instructions - For the TEKONSHA 90185 PRODIGY
  • Black goes to the trucks large red wire (the 12v hot)
  • Red goes to the trucks small blue wire (the stoplight switch)
  • White goes to the trucks white wire (ground)
  • Blue goes to the trucks large blue wire (trailer brakes)

Thanks again for everyone's comments and direction!
Zach

doghouse

Reaction score
The other red wire you need is below the brake master cylinder...taped up to a wiring loom just like the one between the fender and fuse box...the two red wires have different sized ring terminals, so there is no chance of mixing them up on the studs.

Go to the hardware store and get two nylock nuts to secure the ring terminals to the studs...I believe one was 8mm and the other was either 5 or 6 mm?? Sorry, my memory fails me right now...

What is the second red wire for? The one located under the master cylinder?

I just did mine and had instructions from the trailer place which they got from GM dealer and it said nothing of the second wire?

doghouse

Reaction score
OK here is my pictures since the write-up is pretty much on here:

red wire between fuse box and fender
IMG_1770.jpg

connects to terminal here:

IMG_1771.jpg

under the dash wires:
IMG_1772.jpg

wired up to tekonsha vpyager brake controller:

IMG_1773.jpg

all dones and tucked away

IMG_1774.jpg

hyperlite91193

Reaction score
Great photos. How do you post them directly into the message instead of attaching them?

Anyway back to your question about the second wire. You need both wires hooked up to the terminal posts! That's strange that the trailer place didn't mention anything about the second wire! Are you sure they were giving you instructions for a 2007 model? This is what caused me to post my questions, since few places are familiar with the 07 models where I live.

The second wire is located....

Red Wire #2 - Is located below the brake master cylinder. This will require a 6mm nut to secure to the terminal post on the front of the fuse box.

Your photo shows that you've placed what I refer to as "Red Wire #1" on the terminal post. Locate the second wire as described above, place it on the smaller terminal post next the one that you've already done, tighten it down with a 6mm nut and you're DONE!

doghouse

Reaction score
The guy at the trailer place gave me a copy of what he had. It has the GM stamp on it.

Here is what he gave me:

Tahoedocument.jpg

Tahoedocument1.jpg

I use a free wbesite called www.photobucket to host my pics.

hyperlite91193

Reaction score
Could it be that you didn't receive the complete documentation? Nonetheless, get that second wire hooked up.

Stateboy663

Reaction score
Trailer Brake Controller will not work

I installed a new trailer brake controller in my 2009 Tahoe LS 4x4. I pulled the wires down from under the dash, installed them to their assigned location. Hooked up the two wires under the hood to their assigned posts. The trailer brake controller is "hot" and works but is throwing a signal that the trailer is not hooked up. I went after it with a test light and found that the wire are hot at the fuse box in the hood, but the trailer brake wire (dark blue) under the dash is not hot when u hit the brake, nor is the trailer brake terminal at the rear plug.

Anybody else ran into this? Kinda drawling a blank here???

Ridewot

Reaction score
2wires

Gene,
Thanks to your messages, I was ready to install tonight. But I ran into a snag!

First off, I found the four wires under the dash. That took quite awhile, but all looks good there. However, the two red wires under the hood have become an issue. I found them (what I thought was both) right where you said they would be… between the fender and the fuse box. When I unraveled the wire, I found that there was only one… not two! :confused:

I looked and looked, but there is only one wire coming out of the bundle, as shown in the picture below. Do you have any suggestions or insight on this?

Booth wires need to be hooked up? And should a fuse be put on the end of the wire or the studs are fused?