Engine Failure on Brand New Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mountain

Reaction score
I wanted to let you all know about a major problem with the 5.3L V8.

I have a Tahoe built in January 2015. The engine is losing coolant from the head at only 200 miles.

It seems one other individual has discovered this problem as well although his engine is in a Sierra pickup.

The only reason I discovered this issue so early is that I am obsessive about maintenance. Most folks would not have noticed until their engine was toast.

At this point GM will be replacing the entire head. This engine should have never passed inspection at the factory.

While my dealer has been helpful I feel GM has completely dropped the ball on this. Not one call or follow up from GM.

While the Tahoe is in for repair GM has my wife driving a smoked-in Equinox that came dirty, with an empty gas tank. We also had to wait for an hour at Enterprise to even get the vehicle. We were told a Tahoe or similar vehicle was not an option so we are paying Tahoe money and driving a crap rental.

When an engine fails on a vehicle with 200 miles I would expect a manufacturer to do everything in their power to make it up the the customer and that has not happened.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunate but 2 things: The engine did not fail, it is still drivable but is leaking coolant and if it did not show the leak till driven for awhile then that explains why it could pass inspection. If you are so good about maintenance then you would know what I just said. They will fix it and you will be ok but the unfortunate part is that it happened to you.

The follow up call would be nice but you can also call or contact them as per the items given you with your owners manual and talk to them about the loaner car problem and they will likely help you.

One thing that will always turn anyone off is if you yell or accuse. It is bad, don't get me wrong, but you are just venting right now and we all understand but be realistic. Sorry for your problem.

Mountain

Reaction score
When an engine needs to be split in two to fix it it has failed. I caught it early. Putting a new head on an engine means it has failed.

My point is that I saved GM a bundle by catching it early on and they have done the bare minimum to remedy the situation.

Of course I can work with them to arrange for an appropriate vehicle while mine is being repaired but they should have set that up from the beginning.

I should not have a vehicle with a faulty engine at 200 miles, nor should I have to wait an hour at a car rental place for them to provide me with a dirty, empty tanked rental. Again...at 200 miles, on a $50,000 vehicle.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When an engine needs to be split in two to fix it it has failed. I caught it early. Putting a new head on an engine means it has failed.

My point is that I saved GM a bundle by catching it early on and they have done the bare minimum to remedy the situation.

Of course I can work with them to arrange for an appropriate vehicle while mine is being repaired but they should have set that up from the beginning.

I should not have a vehicle with a faulty engine at 200 miles, nor should I have to wait an hour at a car rental place for them to provide me with a dirty, empty tanked rental. Again...at 200 miles, on a $50,000 vehicle.

A new head to make sure it is just not a head gasket only would be the proper way to go so as cover all possibilities. The engine has not failed. You being a maintenance nut should know how all engines work and this is not an engine failure. It is a head or head gasket failure. If you didn't know that the manufacturer is only obligated to do the minimum to fix the problem then you have led a sheltered life or are very young and assume too much.
What should have been done by them for the loaner is something you can talk to them about if you ever call them. I have a feeling I am not hearing the whole loaner car story. Maybe all this took place late in the day and the Enterprise place only had left a vehicle that had not been cleaned yet and you took it because you had to have something? I don't know. Exchange it after you talk to GM, again, if you ever do.

No matter what you paid for a vehicle, it is a mechanical item and something can be wrong at any time in it's life with no prior notice. If you think the opposite then you are kidding yourself. Grow up, call GM and vent with them and also with the dealer but don't come here and think you can bitch about something when anyone else here with a mechanical background knows of what I speak. I do feel bad for you about your problem with the vehicle but if you equate the direct cost of the vehicle with the hope that it will not have problems then get rid of it and buy something for $200k.

Mountain

Reaction score
To restate the issue. The head itself is faulty.
I do not know the policy on posting links to other forums so I will not however there are pictures of the other gentleman's cylinder head showing the coolant coming out the head bolt holes.

Regarding the rental car. I simply stated what I received despite asking for a similar vehicle. GM should have arranged to have the appropriate vehicle ready as THEY made the rental car arrangements.

I will be talking more in depth with GM on Monday however I believe it is important to share my experience as this progresses.

If you knew Tahoes produced in January of this year may have a faulty head would you buy one? This is something I would certainly want to know before making a purchase.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your original post said "leaking from the head", you didn't say the head itself or the gasket and typically the gasket is the culprit so without those details I can only assume. Your head leaking and made in January does not mean that anyone's radar should be up about all Tahoe's made in January until there is pattern failures and then a TSB is created or a recall. If you do a search and there is neither then yours may be the only one out there that did leak and therefore it will be fixed. By the way, pics of the other head leak does not mean yours is leaking at the same place. If so then that is the start of a pattern failure. You have not said where on your head it is leaking. Too many assumptions going on here.

The vehicle, as I said, may have been the only one available at that time and maybe just came in and had not been prepped yet. I am not making excuses for them, just telling you what could have happened and I would bet your warranty does not say that you will be put in a "like" vehicle.