Exhaust Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've got the Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system which consist of the 50 Series SUV muffler with two exit pipes going to the rear. They are each 2.5" in diameter and go into 3.5" tips that are 12" long I think. The problem is that I think the tips are too small in diameter im comparison to the truck. It would fine on, say, a Chevy S10 or something but on a truck this big it's just not proportionate.

I have never bought tips in my life but I've done searches on autoanything.com and flowmastermufflers.com. I can't find anything that fits 2.5" piping. They all want 3"+ piping going into the tip.

All I want is a pair of tips that are at least as long as my originals, but an inch more in diameter. I want them slant cut and not rolled so they look more aggressive. But I don't want anything that looks stupid big. Here's what I have now but they're too small especially from the side imo.

YukonExhaust.jpg

Any good sites to look into? I don't know of any reputable shops near college campus and I wont be back home for awhile.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know man, personally I think that looks really good! But I suppose that doesn't help you any, lol. Unfortunately I don't know of any good places to look, other than maybe your local autozone or pep boys...they usually have a decent selection of tips. Alternatively you could try fleabay, but I'm always a little extra cautious about buying car parts on auction sites, with all the cheap crap and (very convincing) knockoffs floating around nowadays.

On a side note, do you happen to have a video of your truck's exhaust? That system looks pretty damn good to me. How much did it run you?

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Yuke2k... I don't think 3.5" looks bad at all.... of course, that's what I've got... but....

Jegs Performance sells tips... http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_10255_-1_10245

Summit Racing sells tips....
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294923429+115+4294922678&NeXID=5

I got mine from the local exhaust shop...
Tahoe052.jpg

3.5" angle rolled... cost me $35... I think it's like 7-10" long... the other ones I found that were bigger... were like REALLY expensive (one was $120)

If/when you change 'em out... have 'em put them in just a little bit more. The exhaust shop that put mine on wanted to do it about 1.5" further out... I had 'em push it in a little... and I like it MUCH more.

sasquatch

Reaction score
i put some stainless 4x18 inch tips that i got from ebay on my 87 suburban with 50 series flowmasters because i hated the way the 2-1/4 inch pipes looked. (way too small) the only drawback was that after putting the tips on it got alot louder, the tips worked like a megaphone but i don`t mind because they look great.

you can get some like mine that have a 2-1/4 inlet and just trim back the tapered end to match your 2.5 pipe.

here are the ones i have from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Ex...62QQcategoryZ33633QQihZ018QQitemZ280265346659

and a pic of them on my sub...

100_1822.jpg

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuke2k they look good from up close but from a distance they seem small in my opinion. From the side they almost look stock. They are probably smaller than 80% of the aftermarket tips I see on the road today. I wish I had a video of it but I dont have a video cam on me and I think it would be kinda awkward asking my floor-mates if I could burrow one to record how loud my truck is lol.

Renegade that looks identical to mine except mine have the Flowmaster logo embossed in it since they were part of the kit. The entire kit was $400 from autoanything.com with free shipping.

Sasquatch I do like yours and the ones you linked. Half an inch makes a huge difference. I guess all I need is 4" then. Did you weld those? Because everything on mine is clamped. I guess if I cut the tips to fit 2.5" inlet then I'd have to get it welded.

sasquatch

Reaction score
i had to have them welded. theres no other way to attach them and it was expensive, there was only one local place that could weld stainless steel and they charged me $75 to weld them on.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuke2k they look good from up close but from a distance they seem small in my opinion. From the side they almost look stock. They are probably smaller than 80% of the aftermarket tips I see on the road today. I wish I had a video of it but I dont have a video cam on me and I think it would be kinda awkward asking my floor-mates if I could burrow one to record how loud my truck is lol.

Renegade that looks identical to mine except mine have the Flowmaster logo embossed in it since they were part of the kit. The entire kit was $400 from autoanything.com with free shipping.

Sasquatch I do like yours and the ones you linked. Half an inch makes a huge difference. I guess all I need is 4" then. Did you weld those? Because everything on mine is clamped. I guess if I cut the tips to fit 2.5" inlet then I'd have to get it welded.

I would say 4" would be the biggest I'd go... I thought big and loud was cool when I was in high school...
silvertruck.jpg

I've just got a different outlook now... but, to each his own. You can find those in many places... check out the Jegs and Summit racing links I posted.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04-06-08_1445.jpg

04-19-08_1242.jpg

this is what i got -I beleive if I remember right its 3 1/2 inches at the tip the muffler is a magnaflow 2 in and 2 out but only wanted the one out so they kept the Y after the stock muffler