Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Description: This is a cat-back system that fits '00-06 Yukons/Tahoes with 4.8L/5.3L engines. It's a single muffler, dual exit setup that comes out of the corners on both sides. It uses the 50 Series SUV muffler.

Pros: It's a cat-back system. Comes with all piping, clamps necessary. Sounds like a beast at idle after a cold start. Priced reasonably, in fact costs less than half than a Corsa system. Deep idle, roars when you step on it, but it won't drone while you cruise. Stainless tips included. Just a steady deep tone. No popping or anything like that.

Cons: I can't comment on installation, but I did get stiffed $170 for the local Midas to install it. But they did tell me that it went very smoothly. I kinda wish the tips were a little bigger, but there's little clearance as it is with how the piping is set up. I'd have to look into that further.

Misc: This system was the only modification I had for 3 months until I got a Volant a week ago. I can say that the Volant will make the exhaust note deeper, and it will roar even more at wide open throttle. I would recommend this system to anyone on the forums, as other people have already done themselves. This will never make you sound obnoxious, but it will bring out the sweet V8 sound that all of you deserve. You will get compliments. And you won't have your neighbors yelling at you.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it for $400 w/ free shipping from autoanything.com. They seem like a good company to deal with. I bought the Flowmaster and Volant from them.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some images for anyone curious:

Rear.jpg

LeftRear.jpg

Tip.jpg

Sorry these were taken right when I got it put in, so I don't have any photos of beneath the truck. But there's nothing to hide about it. The tips do look clean and blend in nicely.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you put this on yourself? im no goodwrench tech but im pretty handy, is this something you can do in your driveway or will it need to be installed professionally?

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I never attempted my own installation of this. It seemed like too big of a pain considering I have no vehicle lift and if something went wrong over a weekend, I'd be driving to school with no muffler on it :lol: . But I imagine you'd have to be fairly handy to tackle this.

For example, Step 2 of the directions says "Support the muffler with a stand, then using a hacksaw or sawsall, cut the stock inlet pipe just in front of the muffler." Well I already couldn't do step 2 :p Like I said, the good folks at Midas said it went very smoothly. But then again they had the vehicle raised over their heads. I don't think they had to weld anything as I see they used the included clamps.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yea, whats step 1? raise the vehicle?:smilielol: thanks bro i appreciate it.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the exhuast on my 06 in my garage it took about 90 minutes. the install went very smooth and requires no degree from WYOTECH. didn't even lift the truck, BTW it was the same exhuast MADMEDwyn has.

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you can post a video or sound clip? That's exactly what I am going to put on my Tahoe. Looks great.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had my own cam so I could do it tomorrow. I know my parents have a couple camcorders but they are too old to just hook up to a PC via USB, so that makes video transfer alot harder. If I had my own newer model, I would have had a montage on youtube months ago.