Front shakes during acceleration - bad tie rod ends?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leehster

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Tahoe, RWD. When I accelerate/decelerate the front end seems to almost bounce. I suspect tie rod ends, truck has over 150,000 miles. When I check side to side play in tires, don't see too much. If I hand rotate tie rod adjuster, can see play on both ends. I can rotate the adjuster maybe a 1/2 inch. Does this indicate they need replacing?

Had tires balanced and rotated yesterday which did not help.

Last year I replaced my idler arm, pitman arm, and brakes because the front end was shuddering when I applied the brakes. This is more like a bouncing.

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I would guess shocks because MOST front end places will check for excessive wear in your front end BEFORE they try and align it.(Assuming you had it aligned after replacing the parts you mentioned)

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like shocks, could rotate the tires also....

canakin

Reaction score
Bounce certainly could be the shocks. If this was the case and has been for awhile, tires should show signs of cupping. If you run your hands over the treads and feel uneven tread wear or it is not smooth and round, it certainly could be shocks. Keeping in mind you had the tires rotated and may not know where the tires originally came from.

I am not sure about the play you mention in the tie rod ends, but they should not show a lot of play when moving anything by hand. Good luck.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect the outer end was rotating on the ball stud, not having slack tho...