fuel gauge problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outlaw21

Reaction score
just bought a 2005 tahoe and the fuel gauge be tripping when i put over $20 in gas. it reads fine as long as i don;t go over $20. if i do go over the gauge goes pass the full section sometimes it goes all the way down vertical. anybody know what could be the issue. the guage goes the the E once its off and back to the vertical way once its on. i have to disconnect the battery sometimes more than once just to reset it so i'll know how much gas i have

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stepper motor is bad. 03-06 GM uses stepper motors for all the gauges. They are known to go bad. When 1 goes, usually the rest will go in a short time. My 04 had the volt gauge go, then the fuel gauge went, so I had mine rebuilt. These guys had a special I believe. http://fixmygauges.com/ I had a local guy come to my house and fix mine. Totally rebuilt my gauge cluster, all new stepper motors, bulbs and clean the cluster. Cost me $130. Well worth it. The new stepper's are a lot better than the OEM ones and dont go bad, from what I've heard.

theBarzeen

Reaction score
Stepper motor for sure....

my speedo went out like that.

GMgaugerepair up in Wisconsin did every gauge on my whole cluster for $110 including shipping. I sent them out on a Monday from around Chicago and they sent them back out the same day they arrived, back in my truck on Thursday.