fuel pump failure, anyone else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the last couple days, our Ho started taking 2-3 attemps to start.

Yesterday, the check engine light came on and the stabilitrak off warning came intermittently.

Dropped it off last night and today the dealer said we have a bad fuel pump, which caused all of the problems.

Anyone else?

i know Auburn's Ho takes longer to crank than normal.

jeep450

Reaction score
Yes we have been having problems with the fuel pumps. There is a check valve in them that keeps the gas from draining back into the tank. That is what we have been seeing.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah seems to be a common problem with the 5.3s.

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the new pump is on national back order with no ETA. Until then, we have a loaner Malibu :( At least it gets 30+ mpg though, with these post hurricane gas prices.

djcronos

Reaction score
I have a '08 4.8L v8 - could the fuel pump go bad in these vehicles as well?

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't know, but got ours back today! With the post Ike fuel shortages and price hikes here in Atlanta, it was nice to have 30+mpg Malibu for the last two weeks though!

uae_denali

Reaction score
Last week i went to the dealer i have seen a 08 suberban that had a problem in the fuel pump .

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, now I have something besides a heated windshield fluid module fire to look forward to.

smilleeguy

Reaction score
i recently found out from a friend of mines that his cousin who had a suburban was goin through the same thing..and he had to change his pump twice..well, i guess cus the first one was an after market part from checkers, then he finally went to the dealer..but the price of a pump is deep in the pockets..lol..anyhow, mines died out twice the past few days and i wondered if its the same..i have an 05 tahoe, 45,000 miles, and when i turn the key to on without cranking, i DID found out that i dont hear that whirring noise and thats when it doesnt turn over, i'd wait a few minutes and try again, this time, i did hear that pump noise then it STARTS..phewwww..anyhow, is it possible that it might be something else other than the pump? like what if the fuel pump relay is intermittently not switching on to energize the pump? or what if theres a problem with a signal from the module or computer..anyhow, any feedback would be appreciated before i buy a 500 bucks plus parts..SMILLEEGUY

smilleeguy

Reaction score
Yes we have been having problems with the fuel pumps. There is a check valve in them that keeps the gas from draining back into the tank. That is what we have been seeing.

HOWZIT GOING JEEP450..if the check valve is a possible problem? is it possible to just replace the valve it self?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recently found out from a friend of mines that his cousin who had a suburban was goin through the same thing..and he had to change his pump twice..well, i guess cus the first one was an after market part from checkers, then he finally went to the dealer..but the price of a pump is deep in the pockets..lol..anyhow, mines died out twice the past few days and i wondered if its the same..i have an 05 tahoe, 45,000 miles, and when i turn the key to on without cranking, i DID found out that i dont hear that whirring noise and thats when it doesnt turn over, i'd wait a few minutes and try again, this time, i did hear that pump noise then it STARTS..phewwww..anyhow, is it possible that it might be something else other than the pump? like what if the fuel pump relay is intermittently not switching on to energize the pump? or what if theres a problem with a signal from the module or computer..anyhow, any feedback would be appreciated before i buy a 500 bucks plus parts..SMILLEEGUY

One way to check the fuel pump is to check the pressure w/ key on and w/ running.

smilleeguy

Reaction score
One way to check the fuel pump is to check the pressure w/ key on and w/ running.

howzit going 73 shark..thanks for that comment..can u be a little more specific if u dont mind..i have a pressure gauge, but how do i check if the fuel pump is ok..and from what i heard..the fuel pump problem can be intermittent...do i hook up the gauge and check if pressure drop? thank you..SMILLEEGUY

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, I'd check the pressure right after shut off and then a few minutes later to see if it's holding. Then check w/ key on, engine off to see if it pumps back up. Then check w/ engine running to see if it is in spec. Not sure what that is but would guess around 40-60 psi.