gas leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spiketahoe

Reaction score
Iam new to this so bare with me.. I have a 95 tahoe in good condition 170k+ miles. When I start it I get gas damn near streamming out from the tank..I really cann't tell from wear exacly ,it's on the back end of it. I think maybe it might be coming from the the fuel pump area??? could it be a bad line or Iam I in for a real nighmare?!! If the the tank does have to come out is this something that can be be done at home?...HELP PLEASE!!

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iam new to this so bare with me.. I have a 95 tahoe in good condition 170k+ miles. When I start it I get gas damn near streamming out from the tank..I really cann't tell from wear exacly ,it's on the back end of it. I think maybe it might be coming from the the fuel pump area??? could it be a bad line or Iam I in for a real nighmare?!! If the the tank does have to come out is this something that can be be done at home?...HELP PLEASE!!

Does it leak with the key off? If it only does it when the key is on I would assume you have some sort of leak at the fuel pump. Could be as simple as a hole in the line or as complex as a crack in the plastic fitting on the pump which would require a new pump. Either way you see it, you will need to drop the tank to take a look. Run her as low on gas as possible and drop the tank down and take a look. Its not very hard but the pump is pricey..

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you get under the truck where the two gas hoses connects to the gas tank
losen the clamps and pull them off and siphon the gas out.
buy the siphon gadget from any place.i took my spare off more head room.

losen the tank strap bolts and put something under tank to hold it up.
you will need a fuel line tool to remove lines off the tank. but before you
do this have someone turn the key and find the leak.
it might be the metal gas lines that rusted. i just changed the fuel pump
last weekend in my 95 yukon @189.000 miles. it cost me $170 for pump,filters,fuel line tool and pump relay.good luck

spiketahoe

Reaction score
I was really hoping I would have drain the tank...3/4 full...kinda figured I did...have to wait for a couple of days...below zero here no heated garage!!!
Thanks for the info. Ill be back when done

Redwood

Reaction score
flirting with disaster

Dude,
If you have any doubt as to what you are doing, you need to bite the bullet and get some professional help. Gasoline , garages, heaters, poor ventilation ...:eek2: sounds like a recipe for disaster. All it takes is one spark from a dropped wrench or a rusty nut/bolt and boom. Burning to death trapped under a Yukon is no way to go mate.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if only when running , then suspect a broken/rotted fuel line. i would repair that immediately. tank needs to be dropped down to check if its the lines from the tank unit. have you crawled under the truck to see if you can locate the leak?

Surfer27

Reaction score
"Dude,
If you have any doubt as to what you are doing, you need to bite the bullet and get some professional help. Gasoline , garages, heaters, poor ventilation ... sounds like a recipe for disaster. All it takes is one spark from a dropped wrench or a rusty nut/bolt and boom. Burning to death trapped under a Yukon is no way to go mate"

well said, I have done a few fuel pumps and working around gas is NO FUN!!!! I have always done it out side well ventilated, even then the fumes get to ya.

be careful