gas mile increase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd is about 1mpg better than auto.
Sgmstr, 75mph will get you lousy mileage. My optimum mileage has been at about 60 to 65 mph. BTW, where are you going 75mph in L.A.?
In the city I've been getting about 13, but I take it easy on the gas. If I drive a little aggresively the mileage will drop below 10 easily.

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. speed limit in LA area is mostly 65 and rarely people drive at 65. Most drive between 70 and 80.

I live in Santa Monica and commute to Pasadena. I am going against the traffic. Believe me there are still places where you can drive 80+ miles in L.A. area. (FYI: S. CA drivers are getting crazier if you know what I mean)

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished a trip of about 800 miles - mostly highway driving but some mountain roads as well. Tahoe averaged 16.9 mpg overall. The truck is a 2007 LTZ 4wd with 3:73 gearing. I was happy with the mileage. The a/c was on all the way and the temps ranged up to over 100 degrees.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The acceleration is where the gas is wasted the most, try taking it easy on the acceleration and see if that changes things.
Maybe brand of gas makes a difference? I use exxon/mobil 90% of the time.

sbrug

Reaction score
My Tahoe is getting 19 to 20 mpg on the freeway and about 14 to 15 in the city with stop and go traffic.

I use Royal Purple synthetic oil in the engine which appears to help for about 0.5mpg. I have also put on a magnaflow catback and an airaid air intake which appears to have added another 0.5 or more MPG. My hoe is a LT3 4x4with the 5.3L engine and a 3.73 gear ratio. The key is keeping it in the sweet spot with 4 cylinders shut off. I was wondering if there is any way that we can adjust when it goes into 4 cylinder mode. If it would stay there longer, it might get even better milage.

I am also running regular 87 octane gas but I have notices that some gasoline just dosen't get the mileage........ not sure why:crazy:

s

izmir2002

Reaction score
i dont think anybody ld drive a tahoe if the gas goes up to 6 bucks.

izmir2002

Reaction score
most of my driving on highway so i always use the cruise control.my tahoe is 4wd but i always use it 2wd.i think that helps a lot.i drive between st louis to tulsa at least once a week.average 75 mph.its 380 mile trip.if i fill up my tank in st louis,i can drive 380 miles to tulsa then my light comes on so i can drive another 50 miles on it.so i think its pretty good.in city i drive much agressivly n get probably 12 to 13 miles per gallon.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. My mileage sucks.

I get 10-13 around town with the wind at my back. 15 max on the highway. '07 Denali XL, and I drive it like a bat outta hell most of the time. I guess I didn't buy this to ride around like grandma!

My '04 Denali XL sure did alot better in the mileage department, but I love my '07's features, amenities, and POWER.

Truth be told, it's only got about 4800 miles on it and I've had it since the beginning of December '06! Sure looks nice in the garage tho. DOH! :crazy:

Snap50

Reaction score
It could be worse.
I just read about a pleasure boat that uses 33 gallons and hour.....less than 1 knot per gallon.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to run a tank or two of Shell V-Power through it and ease up on the throttle, and get a synthetic oil change (Mobil-1). I'm also planning on the Volant CAI system (with the lower scoop if Volant makes it for '07/6.2L). We'll see how things improve at that point. Right now, the DIC says 10.5 mpg average, but as you might notice from my posts, I'm more in it for the fun of the drive... I suspect it will get even more fun when some real mods are completed... :D

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to run a tank or two of Shell V-Power through it and ease up on the throttle, and get a synthetic oil change (Mobil-1). I'm also planning on the Volant CAI system (with the lower scoop if Volant makes it for '07/6.2L). We'll see how things improve at that point. Right now, the DIC says 10.5 mpg average, but as you might notice from my posts, I'm more in it for the fun of the drive... I suspect it will get even more fun when some real mods are completed... :D

10MPG avg... ouch. As some say give is time and let the engine break and you will see the numbers get better.

izmir2002

Reaction score

10mpg is pretty bad.i hope it ll get better for u !!!

HoP1

Reaction score
You guys getting an average of 14 mpg plus must be accelerating like on old volkswagen beattle. With an average acceleration in SoCal city driving and for us here we know what that is like. I see a consistant 12.0 to 12.1 mpg in the city. I have done a CAI, Headers, and full JBA cat back. All the mods actually increased my gas mileage. With a dealer claiming 16 mpg in the city this makes the vehicle attractive. Understanding that it weighs in as a heavy weight at 5000+ lbs dependant of trim type and being powered with a little 5.3 seems logical that a sub 13 mpg is what you will get. Not the first time a car manufacturer has lied.

Snap50

Reaction score
I agree that weight is the culprit.

Our C5 vette with a similar engine used to get about 20 on it's worst days with foot to the floor every chance I got.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely do not drive like a grandma, but I also don't floor it every chance I get and I average 15.5-16.5. Thats w/ about 50% highway and 50% stop and go driving,