Hail Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woke up at six and looked outside (where my Tahoe was sitting) to damn hail. Did some damage to the hood primarily :cuss: , a couple small dents at the top of the doors. I moved it into the garage right as it was turning into rain. Great timing...

Where do I need to take it to get them out? Should I make an insurance claim?

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woke up at six and looked outside (where my Tahoe was sitting) to damn hail. Did some damage to the hood primarily :cuss: , a couple small dents at the top of the doors. I moved it into the garage right as it was turning into rain. Great timing...

I'd take it to a reliable body shop first and see what they say, and then decide..

sorry about your hoe, but I was watching the game at the georgia dome and that siht was crazy!

andyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Out here we have a company called Dent Wizard, they remove small dents and hail damage without paint. They advertise "paintless dent removal". My buddy works for them and he can remove all kinds of dings and dents in minutes. Check and see if you have that kind of sevice out there.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's quite a few PDR places around. Get a quote from one of them and then decide if you should go through insurance, depending on what your deductible is.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on how much damage i think its sometimes better to have it replaced (stuff not the whole truck) which truck is it??

when i ran in to hail, all that got broke on mine (but i was traveling) was the hood and a broken whindshield, both were covered by insurance but still the shield and the hood were both replaced.

the doors dings will be easy, but the hood will take the brut of it since its flat. :eek:

Last edited:

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on how much damage i think its sometimes better to have it replaced (stuff not the whole truck) which truck is it??

when i ran in to hail, all that got broke on mine (but i was traveling) was the hood and a broken whindshield, both covered under warrenty but still the shield and the hood were both replaced.

the doors dings will be easy, but the hood will take the brut of it since its flat. :eek:

...A warranty isn't going to cover hail damage...

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on the my LT. I hate that it got hit, but I'm glad that it we weren't driving the Z71 this weekend. I'm not going to make a claim unless its over $500 since I've gotten two tickets within the last year and Christy had a fender bender in October, I'm afraid they'll bump my rates. I have no deductable but I want to try and keep my "good driver discount" as Allstate calls it.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id give it the ol dry ice meathod, worth a shot and if it doesnt work your only out like 5 bucks

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does your roof look?? That got NAILED on my hoe, but they did PDR anyway, which resulted in an OUTLANDISH bill. Changing out a roof is a nasty job, and involves welding. With popping out the dents on the roof, the doors, and replacing my hood, the bill came out to a bit over $5000. Not $500, $5000.

jesus10

Reaction score
I work for Allstate Ins. in CO. This is a comp. claim which won't affect your rates at all. Comp. claim don't raise rates because you have no control of them. Other things that fell under comp. is hitting a deer, vandalism, tree falling on your car, haildamage. Hope this helps.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work for Allstate Ins. in CO. This is a comp. claim which won't affect your rates at all. Comp. claim don't raise rates because you have no control of them. Other things that fell under comp. is hitting a deer, vandalism, tree falling on your car, haildamage. Hope this helps.

Is that true with all insurance companies? I have heard of people getting kicked out of their insurance police due to too many comp. claims.

jesus10

Reaction score
Is that true with all insurance companies? I have heard of people getting kicked out of their insurance police due to too many comp. claims.

yeah that is true with 99% of the companies. The only reason i don't say 100% is because there is always one company out there that has weird underwriting rules.
As far as getting kicked thats also true but it takes certain amount of claims in a year to do so. It doesn't happen very often. I have seen a customer with 8 comp. claims within 3 years and we still accepted them. Normally insurance companies would prefer customers to have a higher deductible to avoid small claims.

the 18th letter

Reaction score
Can you file an insurance claim for any damage at all. When I took out the poilcy the truck was clean as a whistle. Now I got hood damage, right fender damage and right door damage. Can I file it all under 1 claim or would each ince be a seperate claim? My deductible is 500 and I'm going to cancel my policy in the next 2-3 months when I make my last payment. Right now I got her garaged until I get some doe for needed mechanical repairs and won't be driving her for at least the next year.

jesus10

Reaction score
Can you file an insurance claim for any damage at all. When I took out the poilcy the truck was clean as a whistle. Now I got hood damage, right fender damage and right door damage. Can I file it all under 1 claim or would each ince be a seperate claim? My deductible is 500 and I'm going to cancel my policy in the next 2-3 months when I make my last payment. Right now I got her garaged until I get some doe for needed mechanical repairs and won't be driving her for at least the next year.

You can file a claim for covered Perils mean hail damage, damage caused by an accident and so on. If the damage was caused by hail damage then the car is covered. Technically you suppose to file a claim right away if this has been over 3 different times then at this point you should just file out under one. The company may investigate the damages. If your not driving it then I would cancel the policy what I would suggest is put SUSPENDED COVERAGE on it. What this will do is only suspend the liability part and keep the COMP. on incase a tree falls on it, vandalism or something happens will the vehicle is parked. Take with your agent about it not all companies have this most but most do.

the 18th letter

Reaction score
You can file a claim for covered Perils mean hail damage, damage caused by an accident and so on. If the damage was caused by hail damage then the car is covered. Technically you suppose to file a claim right away if this has been over 3 different times then at this point you should just file out under one. The company may investigate the damages. If your not driving it then I would cancel the policy what I would suggest is put SUSPENDED COVERAGE on it. What this will do is only suspend the liability part and keep the COMP. on incase a tree falls on it, vandalism or something happens will the vehicle is parked. Take with your agent about it not all companies have this most but most do.

The hood damage was caused when I left the hood unlatched after working on it and a storm blew the hood up, bending it. The door damage was hit and run, and the rear fender was run into by a bicycle at a stop light. And thanks for the suspended coverage idea as I will take it out of the garage from time to time to get to my lawn mower, snow blow etc.

jesus10

Reaction score
The hood damage was caused when I left the hood unlatched after working on it and a storm blew the hood up, bending it. The door damage was hit and run, and the rear fender was run into by a bicycle at a stop light. And thanks for the suspended coverage idea as I will take it out of the garage from time to time to get to my lawn mower, snow blow etc.

If this would have been claimed right away they probably would have been covered. Just would have to met your deduc. I'm not sure if the hood would be covered now but the hit and run will.

the 18th letter

Reaction score
If this would have been claimed right away they probably would have been covered. Just would have to met your deduc. I'm not sure if the hood would be covered now but the hit and run will.

At the time of the incidents I had just bought a house ( sub-prime mortgage mess ) and wouldn't have been able to meet the 500 dollar deductables at the time. 4years of premiums with no claims seem sunfair to me, when they have the photos of the immaculate truck she once was :cryin: I'll file and see what happens, thanks for the advice though.