HELP bleeding brakes on 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04NOLA

Reaction score
Has anyone changed their brake fluid? I would like to replace mine due to color, age and I bought the Amsoil high temp fluid.

I am concerned about the ABS. I have a pressure bleeder, but have read bits and pieces about having to take it to the dealership to have the ABS cycled.

Any help or pointers to avoid the dealership would greatly be appreciated.

04 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel stock 64k miles

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did the brake fluid flush myself and one other and I have ABS,and had no problems doing it. As far as a pressure bleeder i couldn't tell ya I've never use one before. I well say that after doing the flush I could tell a big difference in brakes. I would differently do it. I always try to stay away from the STEALERSHIPS unless its my very very last option!

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main thing to keep in mind is don't let the master run dry. As long as there is fluid in the master you don't have to worry about air in the system. If however you do get air in the system (mushy pedal) a dealer will have to use a Tech II cycle the module to get air out of it.

I've bled a number of ABS cars and never had to take them to the dealer.

pincusa

Reaction score
I did mine with the wife pushing the peddle - no problem. I had one frozen bleeder which I decided not to mess with. 2qts of dot 4 brake fluid later, it was clean.
The pressure bleeder shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep the pressure low.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flushed out my entire system after installing Russell speed bleeders. It makes it a one person job and so much easier.