How big on a '04?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpramirez

Reaction score
First time posting, but gotta say how helpful this sight has been to me. Recently and finally got the steering fix that I've been looking for almost 3 years (steering shaft and grease!!) All because of the comments that I found here!

My question is how big can you go with tires and rims on a stock '04 tahoe without having to do any lift or body work? I'm looking to go with all terrain tires and a new set of rims...

cwyatt27

Reaction score
I have a set of BFGoodrich All-terrain TA Ko's that are the biggest you can fit without modifications. The size tire is 275/70/16. They have Ultra Type 50/51 16" rims. The setup i have looks really clean and aggressive. The tires might rub a tiny bit when your going about 1 mph with the wheel all the way turned. But besides that it handles so much better, and looks cool. hope that helps..

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey wyatt, can u post pics pls? I'm thinkin about gettin those I wanna see how they look.

cwyatt27

Reaction score
Yah definateley. Tomorrow in the light I'll snap a couple pics of them and post them. Honestly they look really good, nice and aggressive. If you have big rims with tires I would trade with you? if not its totally cool.

hoezaycuervo

Reaction score
You can go bigger than that. I have an 03 that is 2wd and I have 275/60/20 which is the equivalent of a 33" tire. I get some minor rub on severe turns, but for they fit nice and don't rub when I make regular turns or into parking spaces. You should be able to fit a 305/70/16, but not sure if that will fit on the factory rim for width purposes.

cwyatt27

Reaction score
really? thats definatly good to know. I have had rubbing only one time with the 275/70/16 BFGoodrich All Terrains. I wanted to get new Toyo Open Country A/T's size 285/75/16. The guy at Les Schwabb told me this size but said if i could deal with the rubbing they'd be fine. How bad do you think they would rub??

cpramirez

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was looking at either an 18" or 20" wheel for changing out...as far as tires go, would ya'll suggest bfg a/t's or nitto terra grapplers? Most of the driving I do is on road, but I'm up at a ranch doing some offroad driving about once a month in central texas. Definetely need some better traction than onroad offers...

Gray Ghost

Reaction score
I have recently been told that with a little twisting on the torsion bars, I can clear 305/50/20s on my 01. I know that is only about a 32 inch tire, I just worry about the width and rubbing. Any ideas?? any pics with that size tire on it?? Thanks in advance.

hoezaycuervo

Reaction score
I have included pictures of my Michlin LTX M/S 275/60/20's. I didn't have to adjust my torsion bars, but I believe they had already been done b/c it didn't have a downward slant in front like many stock ones do. Minor rub when turning hard, but nothing I can't deal with to fill up with wheel wells a little.