How to get dealers to come off of INVOICE??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hogfan

Reaction score
Every dealer I have dealt with are dead set on invoice price. They act like they are doing you a huge favor when they give you invoice. I think they can do much better than that. What are your strategies for getting past this. I wanna buy an 08 this weekend but nobody wants to come off invoice!!

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM sent

As I mentioned in your other thread, you should be able to get between $8k to $12k off MSRP these days on LT3 and LTZ models.

I have confirmed others are getting it and I was offered $9.5k off a 2008.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to have the firm number in your head that you want to pay, and not even use the word "invoice"...then, visit or talk to several dealers and find the hungriest one...tell them that you know about holdbacks (incentives the manufacturers give the dealers to move vehicles in a certain timeframe after delivery, etc), advertising monies, financing kickbacks, etc...their true cost is below "invoice", but there is no real way to compel them to sell it to you for that (after all, they ARE in business to turn a profit, this isn't a hobby). You just have to find the dealer who wants your business bad enough to bend...and don't expect them to do any of this "bending over" on the phone or over email - you have to look serious and capable of doing the deal - go down to the lot and have checkbook in hand, ready to do a deal...face to face may not be the most comfortable for some people, but it's the only way the dealer knows you're not just yanking his chain on the internet of phone, just another cross-shopper wasting his time...

Bottom line is know what you want to pay and don't budge until you achieve it...in today's market, the buyer is king...having said that, don't expect them to sell everything at huge losses either...remember, it's a two way street.

hogfan

Reaction score
I'm from Arkansas, they are offering $2k rebate and $2k loyalty discount OR %2.9 for up to 72 months.

Let me guess LAP TOP GAME.... thats when they offer the big $10k rebates???

CIATAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post, I just signed up and am getting a tahoe within this month.

I am the owner of a small used car dealership in newport beach, ca and have been in the business for a while.

As far as holdback goes, holdback on a new tahoe is only about 1200 bucks, this is hard money to get out of the dealer. If you can get for invoice that is a good deal, however sometime dealers have credits or sometimes coupons with the manufacture on some cars.

What that means is when they sell that car they get additional monies from the manufacture, that is the best way to get below invoice on the car.

Also, I am sure you all know this- do not mention if you are paying cash, that is not an advantage. They make money on financing also by charging points.

hope this helps, if you are ever looking for a used car, I can help also.

Ned's LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hogfan, if you were closer, I would try to help you out. We have a pretty large inventory of hoe's right now, and I'm pretty sure they would bend a bit more than usual to move some. The incentives you mentioned are the same here in the northeast region. With discounts to invoice and rebates, you could get 8-9K off the msrp, maybe a bit more, depending on how loaded the tahoe is.

Snowmo

Reaction score
Also, end of the month is the best time! If they are under quota sometimes that shakes them loose - but you have to be ready to buy on the spot.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ned

You have a white Diamond LTZ for me? I would need to deal to make the upgrade worth it.

local guy

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM sent

As I mentioned in your other thread, you should be able to get between $8k to $12k off MSRP these days on LT3 and LTZ models.

I have confirmed others are getting it and I was offered $9.5k off a 2008.

I agree, but these numbers listed above include GM rebates. Most dealers I have bought from look at invoice less rebates.. If you have $4,000.00 in rebates with invoice then you’re at the $8,000.00 to $12,000.00 off. Price of the unit also factors in if you get a 3LT unit around $42,000 your going to be closer to that $8,000.00 off, if your looking at a $54,000.00 LTZ then your going to get more discount because they have more mark up over invoice to work with. On mine I got lucky and had a family member that retired from GM and I had a GM number so I bettered the invoice number before rebates. You might have to wait as others have posted and take your chances at the end of the year and see what left on the lots and find a dealer that really needs to move some cars or see if you can find a friend that can get you a GM number.