hypertech problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought the tahoe in for the E85 recall the other day, they reprogrammed the computer. I had uninstalled the hypertech PPIII before going to the dealer. I just tried to re-install it this morning, but it shot out a calibration not found code. After talking to Hypertech on the phone, I now have to send the PPIII back to them to re-program. Also for some reason it gave me diagnostic trouble codes which I found out were for the throttle acuator control (TAC). The check engine light came on, but after shutting the truck down and restarting a few minutes later the light was gone and no signs of trouble. I'm still gonna call the dealer and check in with them though. I'll keep you guys posted on the hypertech situation when it comes back.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten that code before on my 07 cleared it with my programmer and it has not come back. I read it was something to do with throttle staying in an open position too long or pressing the gas while starting it.

yukonxl1500

Reaction score
I friend is wanting to sell me his Hypertech programmer from the 02 Tahoe he just sold. I have a 01 Yukon, both had athe 5.3 engine. But since it was already installed in his car will it work in mine or is it married up to one vin?

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will have to deprogram from his vehicle and then it should work in yours no problem.

Fortune50

Reaction score
If his model of Hypertech programmer is a "Power Programmer III" for an '02 application, then it will not work in your '01 as they are pretty much year specific. If it's a "Max Energy" model, then it "might" work in your '01, but I don't know much about those and they might be married to a VIN from the get go and can't be resold. And yes, if it's the "Power Programmer III" model, he will need to reload his truck's original programming from the unit in order to unlock it for use in another truck (it's VIN locked or "married" to his truck's VIN).

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my programmer to come back from hypertech, figured I'd keep you guys updated. They received it the other day, so hopefully by next week I will be reprogrammed.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the programmer back from hypertech and just re-installed with no issues. All they charged me was shipping costs, because they are not responsible for vehicle manufacturer updates. Works good though, and I definitely notice a difference from stock back to tuned.