Idea on how to get better fuel economy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking about how to increase fuel economy on my 99 Tahoe.

One of the biggest things was to keep the tire pressure correct.
Other things are what everyone knows, accellerate slowly, avoid idiling, etc.

Another way to increase fuel economy on an existing vehicle is to reduce the weight of the vehicle. Since you're not lightening the frame or suspension, towing capacity will remain the same.

Reducing the weight of the fenders, hood, door skins, rear hatches would increase fuel economy.

Anyone know if anyone makes anything like that?

Anyone want to start a company to retrofit older cars and SUVs with lighter plastic pannels?

Hardwarz

SmothZ71

Reaction score
Sounds expensive. Probably the amount spent on new panels would outweigh the amount saved at the pump. Saturns are plastic, and I don't entrust my life to them.
I remember reading that for every 100 pounds you take off of a car, you'll improve your 0-60 time by approximately 0.1 sec. With that in mind, seems like you would have to shed a lot of weight to have a noticeable gain in gas mileage.
Worth a shot though, every bit helps.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm removing all my seats and putting a lawn chair in there. waitaminnute... scratch that, Ill move the subwoofer closer and sit on that....

ahhhhhhhh, i got nuthin.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds expensive. Probably the amount spent on new panels would outweigh the amount saved at the pump. Saturns are plastic, and I don't entrust my life to them.
I remember reading that for every 100 pounds you take off of a car, you'll improve your 0-60 time by approximately 0.1 sec. With that in mind, seems like you would have to shed a lot of weight to have a noticeable gain in gas mileage.
Worth a shot though, every bit helps.

No kidding. I once considered getting a smaller car. But then I remembered how often I see windshields that line up with my frame and tow hooks. I don't wanna be in that position should I get into a collision.

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
Not sure which year models the higher axle ratio's are available for but I do know my younger son's first truck was a 93 GMC Z71 pickup and it had 3:44 gears in it. Not sure if I'm exact about that number but is was 3:40somthing.

Before I knew what the ratio actually was (we bought it used) I noticed that the tach didn't run 2000rpm @ 70mph like my 95 pickup does with 3:73 gears. It got approx. 15mpg combination city/hwy with a bored 60 over 350 engine. That was better than my truck with a stock engine. My pickup gets at best, just under 15mpg on the interstate running @ 70mph.

After we had it a couple of years the rearend gears gave out. I was with the mechanic when he pulled the back cover off the rearend. He didn't want to believe what he was seeing when he started counting gear teeth. He earlier assured me that a Z71 had to have 3:73 gears. I hadn't argued with him about it because I figured being a mechanic and shop owner he knew what he was talking about but due to the rpm difference I thought there was a chance that they were higher ratio. They had to have come stock because you can't run different gears front and back as far as I know.

Long story short, he put some used 3:40something gears in it and my son drove it another year or so until he upgraded to an 02 Chevy Z71.

So if its possible to get higher gears for a tahoe you could probably improve your fuel economy by 2-3mpg. Whether its worth it or not would depend on the cost to replace them and how long your going to keep it.