I'm new but guess no one will help....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimH

Reaction score
Yes, I'm new to this forum.

My daughter in law has a 2000 Tahoe that only blows very hot air out the vents. It seems this is a common issue, and I see other people looking for help, but no one is helping. I guess if it's been talked to death, and you are new to the site no one wants to talk about it anymore.

If someone can refer me to some threads about the issue I would be MOST appreciative. I looked for several pages, saw the issue raised but no help...

Jim

JimH

Reaction score
It's my daughter in laws car, but I think the issue started over the winter when AC was not being used.
They drove the car to Wichita yesterday and said they just about roasted getting back home to Wellington.
I think the AC does have an issue also as I can tell now that it is warmer and you call for AC that the compressor is cycling on and off.

I would, at least for now, just like to get the car from blowing hot air and maybe later tackle the AC issue. Perhaps it is just low on Freon. Any help would be more than appreciated.

Jim

My email is [email protected]

JimH

Reaction score
A little more info:

The hot air is coming out all the vents, and the AC won't turn on. The compressor does cycle on briefly then the clutch kicks out. I thought we could tackle that issue if and when we could get the hot air stopped. Hot air out front and back vents. She said it started a month or two ago. Up until then no problem.

Hope this helps....

Jim

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the second gen body style? My Yukon does the same thing but works for the most part in the summer. I've read that the controls for hvac can cause the issue and I would replace them first.

JimH

Reaction score
I have to admit I am not that knowledgeable about GM products. I don't know if it's first or second generation. I have the VIN # it has a 5.3 V8 and leather seats. I don't know much more.

I bought a code scanner and found it also has the following codes:
PO420
PO446
PO463

I've looked these up, but for now I just need to figure out this hot air that is about to burn them up, will tackle the codes after they can stand to be in the car. Since the air can still be directed out different vents(defrost, floor and dash) could the problem be the air blender actuator under dash-passenger side???

Jim

Jim

07burb

Reaction score
Yes it most likely is the the blender actuator on the passenger side.

...and by the way, being a 2000 it's considered a 2nd generation or also referred to as gmt800 by GM

JimH

Reaction score
OK, I'm going to get an actuator. Then maybe later you guys can help me with some of those codes. I've been chasing the PO420 for awhile, I'll tell you what I've tried.

First, got to stop the blast furnace in this car.

Thanks again for the help..............

Jim

JimH

Reaction score
Fixed!!!

OK, I replaced the actuator and FINALLY the heat went off and the blast furnace is off. I went thru the suggested setup routine for a new actuator install, and it went pretty good. I watched the actuator when going from coolest to warmest settings, and the actuator seems to be a little jerky, not a smooth movement. Perhaps the door is a little flaky, who knows. I just hope it keeps working. Thanks so much for the help, I sure couldn't have done this without help.

Jim