Intermittent electrical problem - everything dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveEye

Reaction score
Having *another* problem with the '99 Yukon SLT. After driving it with no problems, once I turn off the ignition to park it, everything goes dead and the security system (alarm) starts making really quiet, low-pitched chirping sounds for a few seconds. No power locks or anything. Just completely dead. After awhile it ends up coming back and then is fine for a week or so.

I had a problem with it starting and then cutting out when put into gear, so I just changed the crankshaft position sensor. Haven't had the cutting out problem for a week now. I had the electrical go out once before with the bad crankshaft postion sensor, and once since I have replaced it.

Any ideas as to how to approach this latest problem? Thanks!

captaintom98

Reaction score
Having *another* problem with the '99 Yukon SLT. After driving it with no problems, once I turn off the ignition to park it, everything goes dead and the security system (alarm) starts making really quiet, low-pitched chirping sounds for a few seconds. No power locks or anything. Just completely dead. After awhile it ends up coming back and then is fine for a week or so.

I had a problem with it starting and then cutting out when put into gear, so I just changed the crankshaft position sensor. Haven't had the cutting out problem for a week now. I had the electrical go out once before with the bad crankshaft postion sensor, and once since I have replaced it.

Any ideas as to how to approach this latest problem? Thanks!

Sounds like a battery connection or chassis ground.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if all conections are good, possible bad cell in battery itself. if not a manitainence free batery, check specific gravity reading on all cells.

DaveEye

Reaction score
Had the same thing happened yesterday. This was my first chance to post. Anyway, before I even saw any replies I tried wiggling the battery cables at the battery. It eventually started with no further problems.

There is no date on the battery for the warranty and it seems to be an older Diehard. Connections look good with no corrosion, so I'm thinking it's a battery issue rather than a ground or connection, but I'll be sure to check the ground strap and cables closely when I change the battery. Hopefully it's just the battery :)

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated!