Is it worth the switch to synthetic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been debating whether or not to switch my Tahoes over to mobil 1synthetic from dino oil. I need to get the oil changed in both this week so this would be as good a time as any to go ahead and do it. My only concern is that the Z71 has 22k on it and my LT has 37k on it. Is that too late in the game to make the switch or should I go ahead with it?

Also, does anybody know how much the dealer charges per quart? Is it a lot more than you could pick it up for at Costco or Walmart?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart is typically the cheapest for synthetic oil. I think synthetic is worth it just so you don't have to change it as often, not to mention that it is better for your engine.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not even close to being too late, maybe when it's close to needing an overhaul. I'd just do it.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by now the the cost of of refueling your tahoe is more than the price of an oil change with synthetic oil. Why not go with it. I've been running synthetic oil (mobil 1) for a while on all my cars. this next oil change I'm going with the Royal Purple.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i made the switch at 115,000miles and had no troubles. The advancements in oil over the years has made it infinately better to run synth over conventional oil.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing that you're located in Georgia/Florida I assume it gets pretty hot during the summer months. From what I've heard synthetic oil is the best oil for hot weather. Why not? So what if it costs a few extra bucks. We're getting BOHICA'd on gas anyway.