Just got back the Z71... after two weeks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my Tahoe back after two weeks of being at the stealership. Its an 08 with around 70k miles on her. I had it towed in because I was getting ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED, LOW OIL PRESSURE, and SERVICE BRAKES SOON on a trip from New Orleans to Atlanta. When they opened it up there was little coolant in the reservoir, the oil level was way too high, and the transmission fluid was a quart low. Ended up having a had a bad oil pump, it had blown a head gasket, had a bad master cylinder, and a bad transmission seal.

Luckily all of it was covered under warranty but those are some major problems for a well maintained highway driven truck. I just thought I would share my experience, thank god for these power train warranties, check those fluids!

The thing is it hasn't had any real problems besides these and they all hit at one time. It's a little scary...

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hate to say it but it almost sounds like a lemon...if anything else goes wrong i would be suspicious

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Antifreeze in the oil is very hard on the bearings. Probably what led to the oil pump's demise. I'd be really leery of keeping the engine w/o an overhaul.

BlueAc

Reaction score
Good luck with everything!!!

I just test drove an '07 Suburban Z71, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on Monday.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh theres no question about it I'm trading her after all that work. I've been looking at leftover 2008 and '09 Yukons this week. I know none of those are common problems except for the transmission seal. I consider myself pretty lucky that after 4 Tahoes this is the only one with problems.