Kenwood DPX500BT Double DIN In-Dash Car Stereo Receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

themechanic

Reaction score
g.png

71lsIGDwfUL._SL1000_.jpg

This from the prospective of an "old school" car stereo guy that used to be into the big systems but now just wants good features and decent sound at a reasonable price. Sound quality of the Ford OEM stereo was good enough for me once I replaced the trucks factory speakers, but I wanted the Bluetooth/Handsfree and USB/Aux in features of this head unit. Current audio system is OEM except for the Infinity Reference 6830cs 6x8 infinity component speakers in the front doors. No subwoofers, amps, etc installed.

The Install:
Installation was easy for my 2006 Ford F150 with the mounting kit and wiring harness. Electrical wiring was easy, just match wire colors and connect together. You will either have to buy some butt connectors or do as I did and solder/heat shrink the connections. Only printed quick start guide included with stereo, a QR scan code in the quick start guide directs you to the HTML installation manual. Owners manual can't be downloaded as PDF, must be viewed online as HTML. Take your phone/tablet/laptop/ipad with you to your vehicle, you're gonna need it.

The Bluetooth:
Simple pairing, just search from your phone and confirm on the head unit, no PIN numbers or complicated setup sequences. Phonebook access via head unit is nice, automatically downloads once you confirm with your phone. Once paired unit stays connected/reconnects automatically to phone. Can connect up to 2 phones at the same time through blue-tooth. Only partially compatible with Android ALCATEL Authority ADR3010 from Cricket, and Sprint HTC EVO. Neither phone is listed in the known "compatible list" on Kenwood website, but the list looked like it hadn't been updated in awhile.I would recommend it to anyone that's interested.