Lift Gate Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having so many issues with my Tahoe since I installed my aftermarket Navi, steering wheel controls, etc...

The problem that I'm having now is the liftgate of my Tahoe will not lock or unlock. All the other doors lock/unlock properly except the liftgate. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
May just be a bad actuator. All four doors and the liftgate are one circuit, so a blown fuse would be out of the question since the four doors still operate. You can pull the rear liftgate inner trim off, unplug the actuator, and hit it with 12V to see if the motor operates or not.

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I press the door lock/unlock on my remote you can hear the liftgate click like it's trying to work, but the lock/unlock click is not as strong as it used to be. You can pretty much tell the difference from before. Does this still sound like an actuator problem?

I'm not that mechanically inclined, but once I remove interior liftgate panel the actuator looks like a square plug, right? Is it easy enough just to purchase an actuator and install it myself instead of having the dealer charge a grip for it?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Ahh. Then either the actuator is weak and going bad, or there is a problem in the latch mechanism not allowing the actuator to properly function. If you want to try replacing the actuator, it is not that hard to do. Once you get in there, you'll be able to tell how it comes apart.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab yourself some WD40 and get to the locking mechanism itself and make sure it isn't just really dirty, that may be enough to keep it from locking and unlocking on its own before you go and get yourself any expensive parts.

NCgatorguy

Reaction score
Anyone feel like helping me by telling me the easiest way to get in the lifegate panel? Newbie here THANKS