My friend's 2001 Yukon seedo is stuck at maximum speed! what do u think its wrong??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackDenali

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend of mine asked my help to diagnose his problem, and I couldn't think of a better place to ask than this forum. He got a 2001 Yukon and all of a sudden his speedometer stuck on maximum reading (well, more than maximum, I think its almost 330 degrees angle from the 0 MPH point. He went to the dealer's work shop and they told him he got to replace the whole cluster plus some other things which will cost him $2000+!! thats a real big money for such a small problem, isn't it? .. What do you think the problem is? Any one went through the same thing before?

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
factory recall, common problem, they should fix it for free if you can find the recall info

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are places that can fix/rebuild them for way way less.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like somebody has a lead foot :lol: . The most I've ever done in my Tahoe is 108 and I swear I had no idea I was going that fast. If any of you have driven on the Florida Turnpike you know traffic runs 85-90 easy and I just let it get away from me going down to the Keys, I guess :wow:. To tell you the truth, I have no idea why I drove to Key Largo in the first place, it would have been cheaper and a whole lot less time consuming just to fly! These things get going pretty good for such big trucks, I got a "warning" ticket a couple weeks ago going 20 over despite this post, I usually go the speed limit!

I've had my cluster replaced twice already on my '04, one time the gears stopped showing up and the last time the tachometer was making a clicking noise when it hit the 2000 mark. Both were replaced for free.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it's a factory recall. It's a shame it's just now happening for you BlackDenali because the local dealer told me that I could bring it by and have it done for free as long as it had less than 70k miles on it. I got mine done two weeks ago and had 64k miles. :eek2:

BlackDenali

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses :thumbs:

I told him about the factory recall but he said that his truck is out of warrranty already and the dealer asked a huge amount of money to replace the whole cluster. I've also read else where that its a common problem with the servo motor and we could just replace it and its available on ebay for $10 each, is that true?

BlackDenali

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! .. We will try to change the speedo servo motor and see if that will fix the problem.