Need Advice about a 1994 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feirlin

Reaction score
Hi All!

New here and need some advice! I have a 1994 Tahoe 2 door 4wd (Yes yes...i know it was called the Blazer K1500 Cheyenne before 1995 :)

Here's the back story...So my dumb housemate got in an accident with it...pulled out into traffic and it was t-boned at the drivers side door (lucky for him it saved his life..unlucky for me his insurance didnt cover it and hes broke).

The drivers door is completely pushed in and just gone. The floor buckled a little right there at the drivers side (up about 3 inch hump). Below the door and behind it took some damage (mostly below door). It was driveable for a couple weeks after the accident when it started making some god awful noise (someone said the rod or reef or something had fallen down underneath).

I loved this vehicle! Strong motor...it was a real trooper. Although not without issues. The transmission wasnt going into 3rd gear in normal D or overdrive. I had to be in 1 or 2 for it to shift normally (anyone know what that was?) And while its awesome as my utility vehicle for hauling stuff...the manual locks and manual windows, 2 doors, no 3rd row seating, and old interior made it less than optimal for hauling people.

So Im wrangling with whether or not to fix my '94... probably have to put 2 to 4K in it or get what I can out of selling it as is and get a 2006. I had been reading reviews and saw that the 06 is a very strong vehicle too and has my power locks and windows, 3rd row seating and is a little more comfortable for people.

On the other hand, I mostly use this as my 2nd vehicle for hauling stuff...would I be too afraid of messing it up (I didnt care if the 94 got scratched or dinged a little...its my work vehicle).. plus Im wondering if the 94 even with its damage is a more solid vehicle to put the money into...I keep going back and forth and need advice from other owners and enthusiasts since whatever I get I plan to hold onto as long as possible.

Thank you for your help!
Melissa

nathanhanover

Reaction score
1994full size Blazer.

For all the problems you described. you will spend up to 4 k on just the Trans.
and the floor damage is way more than you expect. I have 3 of these 2 doors I just spend 5 months restoring my 1994, Could I have found a replacement here in HI I would not have done all I did, nor do it again, cause every thing I touched broke and had to be replaced, in the end I put about 55k into it. Good news, we are moving to FL. FYI so I see lots of Cherry 2d tahoes for sale on ebay there. Some are in the 4-6 K range some are way more depending on mileage body etc.

I would Strongly encourage you to junk it, part it out, what ever.
buy another if you really need it and move on with your life quickly.
jonathan.

nathanhanover

Reaction score
Hey Feirlin: been looking on line tonight. you didn't post were you live. You can find awesome 1994 Blazer in TN and Texas. just do an isolated search. I found lots of nice ones for 4-8 k I am even going to buy one and have them hold it till we move from HI to FL I will pick it up on the way.
We are sellin at least one of our 2 door tahoe, we have two of them a 1996 2WD and a 1999 4x4 I don't think I am going to part with that. If you happen to be in HI.
find me on Facebook. Jonathan Dexter, my #808-255-2179 I can sell you my 1996 for $5,700.00 its above blue book but it has add ons xtras.

warf1955

Reaction score
:secret: I have a 1997 Tahoe LT 4-door, 4-wheel drive (selectable), Every thing is power from the windows to the seats. I LOVE It !! But I will tell you up front there is nothing cheap about the parts. I just replaced the right window switch and it was $25.00, I done the work myself. :welcome:

nathanhanover

Reaction score
25 dollars ? Really ??? for a switch this is dirt cheap??? :confused: :rolleyes:
I have never understood how people can complain about something like that. I have 2 tahoes and my newly restored 1994 Blazer. I don't give a **** what the parts cost, I take 20 minutes to find the best deal on line and either go to the Napa or O rielly or buy on ebay or Amazon for parts not available any more on an old truck like ours. Worse case, I go to LMC Trucks. - I want them to work, to be clean and no worries, on the road for myself or when the wife has the other one. I have a tool and parts kit, in all three back cargo compartments. Common parts and hoses fluids that go bad just in case of a road side emergency repair.

Cause I am not spending 65 K on a new F-truck, modern piece of crap that only lasts 2 years. And the insurance is as much as for one, as all 3 of my rigs.
Reminds me of ATV riders. They want a bike that will out run everybody, do anything. but only want to pay a Buck two fifty for it. I think for the most part the only people you hear complaining about this stuff. Would complain if they got something for free, and it wasn't perfect new just out of the box.
Talk about Stinkin Thinkin.
Not to mention your post isn't relevant to my conversation in the first place!

warf1955

Reaction score
Glad you are rolling in dough. Some of us are on a very limited budget. Guess I did leave out a little. This was for a single switch. Not the master switch, and this was the cheapest I could find on line or other wise.

nathanhanover

Reaction score
I am not rollin in Dough, I bust my Azz working 16 hrs a day 6-7 days a week. And that provides just enough money to take care of my family and keep my trucks going. If I was rolling in dough, I would have a brand new Caddy for my wife to drive Bruh.
Point is, there is never enough money no matter how hard we work. Complaining about the cost of things in this life is a waste of time. (If you want more find a way to earn more).
I started with two duffels and $1,300.00 25 yrs ago. worked full time through college. Been in two wars, been fatally wounded and stove to heck twice. I live every day like its a new day because it literally is for me. Life is a gift. I built and own, a little one man business. And again. there is never enough money. But we strive to live a happy life. I hope you find that, I am also glad your someone that appreciates the 1990s Tahoes. In my opinion this platform is amazing. There are a couple of companies out there putting late model diesels in them from Oem GM rigs. There's just nothing that can't be done. Have a good Monday and keep your chin up. Cause tomorrow is a brand new Day!

warf1955

Reaction score
Wasn't complaining, just stating fact. I have to keep my chin up and a positive attitude. Just had cancer surgery. So I live each day to the up most. You have a good day also.