Need New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, my '04 SLE with the original-equipment-type Firestone Wilderness LE 265/70SR16 tires are really starting to get worn. The very insides of the fronts are basically bald, so I'll be getting new tires within a month or two at most. I looked up the reviews for this tire, and they are not good. People complained of pre-mature wear, so I don't want anything like this again.

I'm really interested in the BF Goodrich All-Terrain A/T KO. They have them in the factory size, for $167 each. I don't do alot of off-roading, but the reviewers of this tire claim they get a ton of mileage out of it which I care about more than anything. And, it looks sweet.

I know a few of you have these. How have they treated you? Do they make alot of noise? Would you recommend them? Thanks.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires

I did a lot of research - I don't take my Yukon off road but I wanted a 'good looking' - rugged - tire. I have a preference for Goodrich and Michelin, but this time I went with the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor. They look great, ride great, but most of all, are virtually silent at all speeds. I'm sold - I'll be putting a set on my wife's SUV in a few months. They are pricey, though. About $200 per tire for the 265/70/16 - original for my '02 Yukon.

Good luck!

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some BF Goodrich All-Terrain's on a 84 jimmy once. They were REALLY good tires and they looked mean. I've never really heard anything bad about BFG's, They are a good tire.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I'll be sure to look up that Goodyear this weekend. I parked next to a ~04 Tahoe Z71 at school today that had the BF Goodrich All-Terrains on it, but I never saw the owner anywhere, and I had to leave :(

tndetroiter

Reaction score
I've had great luck with my BFG ATs. ~60K miles on them. Just keep them rotated religiously! Road noise is much better than you'd think. Thinking of going with the Nitto Terra Grapplers soon. Anyone have any experience with these? Have heard they are comparable to the BFGs and really look good.

Thanks

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Terra grapplers won't last as long as the bfg's especially on an ifs truck. You should be able to get some 265/75/16 goodyears off a stock h3 for cheap. Look around on craigslist or stop by a local 4wd shop that does alot of business. I see h3's with 285's on them all the time and I got my wranglers for free off a buddy's h3 when we lifted his truck. For the money buy some pro comp all terrains during a buy3 get1 free sale, great tire that will annihilate snow and ice while still being quiet and lasting 60k+

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with Toyo Open Country A/Ts, they are by far the greatest and longest lasting all terrain tire!! And trust me I've been through a lot, the Nitto's for exampe were good for about 40,000 miles and then I needed new ones! The Toyo's stick to snow, ice, and rainy/wet roads like glue, and mud as well!! They are pretty much silent on the road and I can testify to their dominance off road as well if your into that!! Trust me if you get these you will never regret it!! :Chevy:

tndetroiter

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, gents!! Not a big goodyear fan, but at the right price (craigslist), would definitely consider it! I'll also check out the Toyos.

Thanks again!!

SVC707

Reaction score
off topic but does anyone know if a 16" wheel clears the calipers correctly on a 06 denali xl. looking for a winter wheel and tire combo, and i see no reason for me to waste on getting larger wheels. im running the stock 20's right now

thanks

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what size the rotors are in that Denali? If they're 14", they will not clear a 16" wheel. 12" rotors will probably.

I ran BFGs on my 77 Corvette. They were good for 40-50k a set both times.

I run Goodyear Eagle GTs on 20s now. They last a lot longer than what the shop told me, but there's a good bit of road noise off them.

I run Michelin Pilot Powers on my bike. Not sure that helps :)

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off topic but does anyone know if a 16" wheel clears the calipers correctly on a 06 denali xl. looking for a winter wheel and tire combo, and i see no reason for me to waste on getting larger wheels. im running the stock 20's right now

thanks

I work think that the braking and suspension system would be same as a yukon, tahoe, suburban, sierra or silverado 1500. All of which have 16 inch wheels as an option. Unless the denali has beefier brakes for some reason they should fit fine. Some one else probably knows more, but i would say yes they will fit.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in the BF Goodrich All-Terrain A/T KO. They have them in the factory size, for $167 each. I don't do alot of off-roading, but the reviewers of this tire claim they get a ton of mileage out of it which I care about more than anything. And, it looks sweet.

I am also looking at those tires for my Tahoe. I have the 17 inch rims, so they are slightly more expencive. I'm torn between the BFG A/T KO and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. I do mostly highway driving, but I do get my hoe a little muddy during hunting season and need good traction pulling my boat trailer out of the lake.

Take a look at the Dueler A/T REVO, too. They are supposed to have a better ride and noise quality than Michelins with the look of an All Terrrain tire. It just makes me nervous to buy more Bridgestones after the Dueler H/T tires that came on the Tahoe, never had a tire that rides so bad. However, the reviews admit that the H/T has a terrible ride and that the A/T REVOs have a Highway tire ride with the look of an all terrain.

I need to put some tires on it before I go to Mississippi for Christmas, so I'll let y'all know what I choose and if I'm satisfied with them.