New Engine Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike132

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the Forum, but excited to get involved and get this build under way. I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe Z71 that needs a new engine. The question is what is the best way to go? I think I have ruled out an LS conversion, I just don't need another complicated project. The Tahoe is an easy 8 out of 10 as far as condition, but at 168,000 miles it blew a oil cooler line and that was that. It has a newer HD built 4L60E transmission with about 40,000 on it.

Being that it has that many miles on it I would like to replace as much as I can of the main accessories so I am not spending the next twelve months changing out parts that would have been a lot easier while the engine is sitting on a stand. I would like it to be as plug and play as possible, but also gain some HP and torque. The scope of the project is to turn it into a fully capable overland rig set to tow my offroad trailer which ways about 4,000lbs loaded. I have been quote $3000 for new/rebuilt 383 stroker which includes new plenum intake, valve covers, timing cover, oil pan, balancer/flexplate, water pump, balance rotating assembly, paint, and dyno test. Looks like it should be in the neighborhood of 375hp and 440 ft/lb torque.

With the engine I am planning on adding the Delphi SCPI-MFI fuel spider, a cold air kit, a BBK 75mm throttle body, throttle body spacer, BBK ceramic headers, Magnaflow stainless exhaust, Vmax Vortec manifold spacer.

Plus the have to haves, plugs, wires, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses (possibly), high output alternator, and starter.

Questions:

Is this a good build for the Classic Tahoe, is the money going to the right place?

Am I missing something?

Do I need to get the computer reflashed? If so where or who?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the amount of mods you would be well off getting the PCM flashed. Look around on here, there are a few places to get it tuned.