NEW ISS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought my Tahoe in for service today at the dealer and they installed a new Intermediate shaft, instead of just re-lubing. They said that hopefully this will fix the problem, they have redesigned it. So anyone out there with "the shakes", bring it in for service. It was also covered under warranty, so no price to pay. Also there was a recall on the Flex Fuel, don't know how many of you have it, but my '06 Z71 had to be reprogrammed to fix some fuel settings. Not that I've used or even seen an E85 station around here in CT, but at least now there will be no problems. I'll keep an update about the ISS and let you all know how it holds up.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a new ISS installed the other day but they didn't tell me anything about it being redesigned. Hope they did, though, the first one lasted until around 25k and the last one only lasted 13k.

Did they give you any more info about the flex fuel update? I just ran a tank through there last week, but it ran fine.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I brought mine in at 10k miles they only lubed the ISS, but this time they put a new one in at 25K miles. He told me about a redesign, not sure what it is, but hopefully it works (so far so good after a few hours). The recall was:
"Due, in part, to the way E85 is mixed before you fill your tank, some 2006 model year Chevrolet Tahoe vehicles could encounter a situation where the engine computer improperly estimates the amount of ethanol in your vehicles tank. As a result, certain vehicles under certain circumstances could have instrument panel telltale lights turn on."

They updated some software that is supposed to fix that, but like I said before, I don't even have a station around here, so it doesn't matter too much to me.

05LS

Reaction score
I had mine changed at about 53K and didn't mention anything about a redesign. I will ask my mom since she is a warranty clerk for Chevrolet. They did say that I would just need to lube it down the road and shouldn't have anymore shakes.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I brought mine in at 10k miles they only lubed the ISS, but this time they put a new one in at 25K miles. He told me about a redesign, not sure what it is, but hopefully it works (so far so good after a few hours). The recall was:
"Due, in part, to the way E85 is mixed before you fill your tank, some 2006 model year Chevrolet Tahoe vehicles could encounter a situation where the engine computer improperly estimates the amount of ethanol in your vehicles tank. As a result, certain vehicles under certain circumstances could have instrument panel telltale lights turn on."

They updated some software that is supposed to fix that, but like I said before, I don't even have a station around here, so it doesn't matter too much to me.

That's pretty strange. I have not used it in a while, but I usually use E85 once every 4 or 5 tanks and I have had no problems, so it could be just a 2006 issue. I have yet to need my ISS replaced at 31k miles, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

AJFireman

Reaction score
What kind of shakes were you experiencing. I do have some shakes but its only at high speed and intermittent. Thinking it was related to an accident when I ran over a curb at high speed do to rain only thing I thought was damaged was the rim but might be something else.

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could feel a vibration in the steering wheel on the highway, more so when going around turns or bends, where you would be moving the wheel. I think it is a pretty common tahoe thing to experience.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermediate Steering Shaft - and yes, your definition is correct. How are things in Norcross? - I used to work in an office off Oakbrook Parkway near Jimmy Carter Blvd........