New Tahoe, How Many Miles for Synthetic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliChevyV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my new Ho a week ago. 2008 Black on black LT2 2wd. It has almost 500 miles on it, and I was wondering how many miles I should allow for the break in period before I switch to synthetic?

Also it seems like Mobil 1 hasn't been doin too well around here, so would Royal Purple be a good way to go?

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever you're ready to do your first oil change, put your synthetic in at that time. Royal Purple, Mobile 1....whatever.

BoostJunkE

Reaction score
I'm just goin off the threads on here, I used to run it in my last silverado with no issues.

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=9400&highlight=mobil

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=9444&highlight=synthetic

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=8697&highlight=mobil

I'm know Mobil 1 isn't bad, these threads just made me curious to try Royal Purple.

These threads seema little inconclusing in my opinion. If you're looking for more a more educated guess on a certain oil or fuel, do your search on Bobtheoilguy.com sight. When you see people bad mouthing an oil on that forum, you can bet there is something to it. They routinely send off oil samples to have it analyzed.

Just to drive home my point on those threads being inconclusive, here is a quote off Bobtheoilguy forum when talking about fuel economy.

You also have to measure the temperature changes of the gas in the tank and correct for its effect on the fuel as well as the tank material. Fuel expands a lot when heated 30 degrees. You fill the car with cold gas from an underground tank, then it warms up to summer temperature, and you can gain 1/2 gallon in a 20 gallon tank.

Things like Humitity can rob power as well and probaly hurts fuel economy as well.

Anyhow, Here is a thread about a guy simular to you asking about switching to syn or staying with dino oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1198999#Post1198999

Here is another tread asking which one to run Penzoil or M1.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1199556#Post1199556

Both threads has people suggesting M1 and no one bath mouthing it.

As for fuel econnomy using Syn based oil vs Dino based oil. Here is an interresting thread by people trying to calculate any reallized gains from runing syn oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1198260&fpart=1

Anyhow, hopefully this can better help you to make up your mind about M1 or Synthetics in general.

Last edited:

CaliChevyV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info :D

I don't think Mobil 1 is a bad choice, I'm still just curious about RP. Only one way to kill the curiosity though!

BoostJunkE

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info :D

I don't think Mobil 1 is a bad choice, I'm still just curious about RP. Only one way to kill the curiosity though!

Oh ya, both M1 or RP would make a great choice in my opinion. I'm not sure if RP makes a filter but I would use one like K&N or M1 if they don't. They filter a higher Micron (smaller partical) than a typical filter and better suited for syn-oils.

Edited: I just now noticed this was in the 07' and newer section lol We just rented one the other day since the fuel pump in our 04' took a dump. It's not bad riding Tahoe. Anyhow, I thought manufactures started snythetic oils in cars years ago? I know they use synthetic gear lube in my truck from the factory and I think the same for my transmission.

Last edited:

ria4him

Reaction score
synthetic changeover

I have an 08 Tahoe also and am looking to change over to synthetic. I have gotten different answers from several companies ranging from 500 to 4000 miles before the change.

I talked to an RP tech who told me that their oil meets only the SL standard, while GM requires SM oil, which offers less protection for the motor but is catalytic friendly. Their corporate warranty would cover any possible motor issues if GM refused to cover. An SM oil may be available soon. Seems to me it makes more sense to protect the motor than the catalytic...........

CaliChevyV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost at 2000 miles now. My usual mechanic told me to wait till 5000 to change it because the "break in period" (Old school guy I guess, playin it safe). I talked to the guy at the dealer that sold me the ho, he said they come pre broke in from the factory. And that they don't use Break in oil anymore, just regular oil. He said I could switch whenever I want to synthetic.

Also I bought the K&N oil filter and case of RP. I ended up takin it back a few weeks ago and gettin the Mobil 1 Truck & Suv and a Mobil 1 oil filter HAHA. Just feels alittle more secure stickin with Mobil 1 on this brand new baby then tryin somthin new. I'll be doin the change soon.

aaron72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched mine once it reached 3000 miles. Been using Mobile1 in multiple cars since '99 with no problems.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the guy at the dealer that sold me the ho, he said they come pre broke in from the factory. And that they don't use Break in oil anymore, just regular oil. He said I could switch whenever I want to synthetic.

Never heard of them doing pre-break in, does that mean they ran 500 miles worth of gas through the motor? I doubt it, though they might run it at a few different RPM levels to make sure it works properly, don't know. I understood these to have a 500 mile break in period, after which I would (and did) change the oil. Actually had the dealer give me a free change at around 1000, then put Amsoil Synthetic in at 5000, so I feel pretty secure in the cleanliness of the oiling system. Also Amsoil EA filter, which is like a high grade Wix. There is such a thing as "break-in oil", using more zinc and phosphorous protects the cam and lifters, and seating the rings, but I wasn't aware that the factories really practiced that. One thing is for sure, try not to believe anything a dealership employee tells you (especially salesmen), the most amazing, untrue, ridiculous statements come right out of their asses sometimes.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what differance does synthetic do? I have the 6.2 L 380hp Denali

1. Can handle higher temps without breaking down
2. Stays fluid at lower temps, and better cold starts
3. Lasts longer, additive compounds stay evenly suspended better/longer
4. Potentially more slippery
5. More stable, delayed breakdown
6. Better MPG from less friction
7. Tree Huggers should be happy

The biggest con is it's more expensive, but you can observe longer change intervals. The Amsoil I use says it's good for 25K miles, but I'll still change it at the factory interval, so it should be really good still when it comes out.

Oh, and it doesn't work in the Denali's 6.2L. JUST KIDDING.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less frequent oil changes, better engine protection, and slightly better mpg.

Most recommend first change at ~500 miles to get rid of the metallic particles from break-in.

Armycop

Reaction score
So Tahoe's don't come standard with Mobil 1? My Yuke's oil fill cap says it right on the top!

ria4him

Reaction score
factory fill

my 08 Tahoe filler cap just says 5W-30 SAE................interesting. I have the 5.3 flex fuel motor.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my new Ho a week ago. 2008 Black on black LT2 2wd. It has almost 500 miles on it, and I was wondering how many miles I should allow for the break in period before I switch to synthetic?

Also it seems like Mobil 1 hasn't been doin too well around here, so would Royal Purple be a good way to go?

I put in Royal Purple and a K&N Gold oil filter at 3000 miles. Ran the same setup on my Hummer and never had any problems.