New (to me) Tahoe, Have some questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just bought a new tahoe today, got rid of my 2002 and got a 99 to put a little money in my pocket. I've already got some plans for this vehicle, but much unlike my last tahoe. My plans go a little like this: 6" or so lift, big tires, probably in the 35 - 37 range. Possibly some rims to go along with it. Going to tint the tails, possibly nerf bars, grille guard for the front (possibly a winch). I want one of those Surco (?) safari racks for the top, and thinking about putting some lights on there.

Is a winch a must for wheeling? Im not going to get too crazy, I just want to explore a little bit.

Also, what are your recommendations for lift companies, and also what are some good combo's in terms of lift/tire size etc...

There's a tahoe on FSC that is sort of my inspiration, but the site doesn't seem to be loading at the moment, when it works again I'll link the pic so you guys can get an idea of what im looking to do.

Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres the inspiration:

TAHOE_003.jpg

TAHOE_005.jpg

The description says 6" BDS Suspension w/ 35" Pro Comp Extreme A/T's

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like procomp wheels along with the procomp tires.

the winch isn't necessary unless you plan on muddin or rock crawling with a tahoe. without it you just have to watch what your getting into a little better, but with one you know its there to get your ass out.

from what i have been told by a few the BDS is a good kit, little pricey though. if you don't plan on tearing the truck to **** you might want to look into a Procomp kit, it'll be easier on your wallet and still get you what you want.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like procomp wheels along with the procomp tires.

the winch isn't necessary unless you plan on muddin or rock crawling with a tahoe. without it you just have to watch what your getting into a little better, but with one you know its there to get your ass out.

from what i have been told by a few the BDS is a good kit, little pricey though. if you don't plan on tearing the truck to **** you might want to look into a Procomp kit, it'll be easier on your wallet and still get you what you want.

From what I have read, Pro Comp sounds like a great choice. As far as the winch goes, I really don't think its necessary, unless I happen to fall into one of those "oh $hit" moments....

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wanted a winch on mine for some time for being out in the woods in case I or those with me get in a jam (which we have managed to do). I finally installed a removable hydraulic winch but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

From my research, IMHO, if you are going to put a winch on, hydraulic is the way to go. You might have to beef up the steering pump. I used an AGR.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got no winch...:)Not really worried bout it. grab the 6inch pro comp lift with some 35s and some 17s...youll be lookin Large N In Charge..:cool2: