No brake lights after battery change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watty

Reaction score
Greetings,
I have an '04 Tahoe. My wife ordered new rear brake light assemblies to freshen up the look (we have already done the fronts). I was replacing the wiper fluid bottle (it leaked), which requires the battery to be disconnected and removed. While I had the battery disconnected, she had removed the old assemblies and summoned me to hook up the new ones. The new ones came complete with bulbs and pig tails, so I only had to unplug the old ones and plug in the new. Reconnected the battery in the reverse order I disconnected it. That is, I disconnected negative first, positive last. When reinstalling, I connected positive first, negative last.

Now I have no brake lights at all, including the third brake light. I checked the 25 amp fuse (the one labeled 'Stop') in the fuse box under the hood and it was good.

This has to be something simple! Everything worked fine prior to this work today. I also went back and unplugged the new units, plugged in the old-still nothing!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
Watty

watty

Reaction score
I messed with it some more today, but did not really do much other than double check fueses and connections. All were good. All electronics work normally, cruise works. Now for the wierd part, the brake lights come on, but lathargically or after the brake pedal is hel down for a few seconds. Also, the 3rd brakel light does not come on at all.

I see most all the other posts talk about the brake light switch. The switch worked just fine prior to this.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
Watty

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible that your light switch at the brake pedal could be out of position or could be going bad as for the third brake light that is labeled "CMHSL"