Noob needs help with suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyboy

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for the great advice and answers on this site. I have a 1999 Hoe LS and want to beef up the suspension (not a lift). The question I have is how difficult is it to stiffen the suspension on these vehicles? My vehicle does not respond well in a cross wind on the highway and I want to stiffen it up a bit to compensate for this. What is needed? New heavier springs, shocks and sway bars are what I am looking into. I would like to know what are the best parts out there and how difficult would it be to complete the replacement? I did a search of the topics and did not find anything relating to my particular situation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do a lot of highway driving, you may want to rethink your approach. These vehicles are driving barns, and about as aerodynamic. They all are like this.

But, you could try a this instead- leave your suspension as it is (assuming it's in good, solid condition), and add a big, low air dam to the front, and low side skirts at the rocker panels. This will help "suck" the truck to the road and improve it's "stability". Yes, this DOES work at highway speeds (you don't need to be going 150mph like rear spoilers).

Since I don't off-road, I'm tempted to try it on my truck, but more for a fuel economy stand-point.

Many years ago, I had Toyota Corona station wagon that would get tossed around by passing trucks (2 lane highway). Adding an RX7 air dam to the nose, and generic side skirts (made from some landscaping edging), I could now let go of the steering wheels when being passed by the big trucks, and the car wouldn't even flinch.

Naturally, the Toyota is about 1/3 the weight of the Tahoe/Yukon, but you should see some gains!

newmarketEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are your shocks and all your suspension bushings? I would check them out as well especially your bushings on your front and rear swaybars. Also perhaps lowering it some would help with this? Or upgraded swaybars.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could stiffen up the roll with some Eibach swaybars. lowering the whole thing wouldnt hurt anything either, bring down the center of gravity a bit might help.