oil screw removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell my why the oil screw underneath the truck wont come off Im trying to give my truck a tune up and its just not cooperating any tips? anyone?

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean your drain plug? There's no reason it should not come off.
Maybe the rubber washer's gone and the screw has stuck to the oil pan.
It may just take a little more pull than normal with the socket wrench. In the past I've had to tighten screws a little more to break the gunk off the threads. I've never run into this with the drain plug though. I'm not sure if liquid wrench would work on the bolt since it's a vertical application.

You might even try using a length of metal pipe on then end of the wrench to get more leverage. I would not say never, because freak things happen... but I don't think you're going to break that bolt applying more pressure to it.

Worst case, take your oil & filter to an oil change shop and get them to put it in for you. Find one of the Cheeeeeeeap places. They might cut you a deal.

BH

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:iagree:
You mean your drain plug? There's no reason it should not come off.
Maybe the rubber washer's gone and the screw has stuck to the oil pan.
It may just take a little more pull than normal with the socket wrench. In the past I've had to tighten screws a little more to break the gunk off the threads. I've never run into this with the drain plug though. I'm not sure if liquid wrench would work on the bolt since it's a vertical application.

You might even try using a length of metal pipe on then end of the wrench to get more leverage. I would not say never, because freak things happen... but I don't think you're going to break that bolt applying more pressure to it.

Worst case, take your oil & filter to an oil change shop and get them to put it in for you. Find one of the Cheeeeeeeap places. They might cut you a deal.

BH

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil drain plug shouldn't be vertical. It's horizontal on most Tahoes I've done oil changes for. Liquid Wrench or WD40 should work on helping.

Best thing to do is get a 1/2" ratchet - that'll pull it off.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's better if the Liquid Wrench can seep "down" into the threads as opposed to trying to climb uphill. On my old Chevy it was on the corner of the oil pan, at a slight angle.

I have yet to change the oil in my Hoe, so I'll get to that one if a few months!

BH

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see what you're saying. The drain plug on the Hoes basically point out to the rear of the vehicle (you'll always have oil to clean up off the bottom edge of the pan).

I've never had an issue with a drain plug being that tight, either - must have gotten a change at Jiffy Lube or something, eh? :)

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i figured it out mine is a denali with the 6.0 the no oil pan, what i thought was the oil pan was the drain for the transmission. The oil plugg was vertical right next to the oil filter once i figured wich one it was it came right off, and i too though the plugg had to be horizontal or near some oil pan but this was different

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you didn't get that bolt off then! Not that it's a bad thing to change tranny fluids, just hard to do with a plastic bag standing by full of motor oil & a filter.
:)
BH

zeokter

Reaction score
can someone post a pic of that screw location.... i think i did the same thing when i tired to do my own tune up.endednup taking it in..