Old throttle body verses Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
Lets beat this dead horse (mpg) from a different angle.

I own two 95' models a 2DR 4WD Tahoe and a 2WD 3/4 ton pickup. The TBI is great on these trucks, very reliable and simple. I've noticed on some of the MPG threads that the 96' and up Vortec's are getting better "city/hwy mix" mileage than my 95's ever dreamed of getting 14mpg verses 16-17.

So whats the big difference?
What makes a Vortec, a Vortec?
Why does the Vortec have a little more power and get better mileage than the 95' and older models?
Has anyone figured out any tricks/addons that will bring a 95' up to Vortec performance without changing internal engine parts?

flyboy1304

Reaction score
hmmm. i donno bbyt i would also like some insight on this topic...

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, here are your answers:

The 350 "Vortec" Chevy engine is the same 350 block as your TBI engine, the differences are as follows-

The Vortec engine has fast-burn Vortec Cylinder heads. These are pretty nice performance cylinder heads, and offer much better power than the old "swirl-port" TBI engine cylinder heads. The Vortec heads are cast iron heads with a 64cc heart-shaped combustion chamber, which is much better than the TBI D-shaped chamber. The sparkplug on a vortec engine sits deeper in the combustion chamber (where the heart-shape points inward) so that it gets a much better and quicker spark. This burns the fuel off faster, gives you higher rpms, and gives you more power with better fuel burning efficiency. The intake ports also have a spiral design that creates sort of a vortex of fuel/air as it enters the combustion chamber, making for great atomization; basically it is a much better "swirl-port" design than the TBI heads tried to use. These heads also made higher compression.

The Vortec engine also uses multi-port fuel injection , instead of throttle body injection. This helps a little with gas mileage, and is also a much more efficent type of fuel delivery. Instead of two injectors within the throttle body that spray fuel into the butterflies at certain intervals based on the feedback from a small handful of sensors, the Vortec engine has what is known as a "spider" injector, which is one large fuel injector that has 8 "legs" or tubes coming out of it and through the intake manifold. These tubes exit right at the intake port of the cylinder head. Using a lot more sensors than the TBI system, and the OBDII computer system, the Vortec system pulses fuel through the injector at high pressure and enters the combustion chamber WITH the air and mixes together inside the intake port.

So, with the Vortec Cylinder heads, Multi-port fuel injection, and OBDII computer, the Vortec engine is able to make 255 HP (TBI is 200 HP) and 330 ft/lbs of torque (TBI is 300 ft/lbs).

As for the mileage... well honestly, the EPA estimated fuelmileage for the TBI and Vortec engines are actually about the exact same. The people who report better mileage probably get better mileage for other reasons. They may have bettermaintained vehicles, aftermarket parts theat help get better mileage, or they simply drive their trucks more conservatively. I mean, the Vortec engine is only rated (by the EPA) for like 13.8 mpg mixed.

For matching a vortec engine's performance with TBI... Unless you really start changing some things in your engine, you are not going to be able to gain 55 HP and 30 ft/lbs. of troque to match up to the vortec engine. Hope I helped get rid of some confusion.

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the response GS, I had been told it was something to do with more or better air/fuel delivery but you really spelled it out accurately. I guess I'll have to wait about another 100,000 miles and get a hot crate motor like the one that was in my son's 93' Z71. It really had some punch to it and still got decent MPG with the 3:44 gears.

aquaholic

Reaction score
that 5.7L vortec is one bad ass engine. i've got 228,000 miles on mine and still running extemely strong.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, Vortec heads have to be among the best stock factory heads for a mass production standard V8. Hell, I'm putting Vortec heads on my 355 I'm building. They just make great power for what they are. Low price, but totally awesome bang for your buck.