Padawan needs help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

interceptor

Reaction score
Hi to everyone,

I'm from Turkey and I bought a 1995 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 2-door with 126k miles on it. The cosmetics of the truck was so bad and I restored it with new paint, new mud tires and 15 inch rims. I also worked on the audio system. The "baby" looks fine but I still have some problems and related questions.

1. How can I find my truck's codes (Is it LS or LT)? Because it is not written on its licence. Is it possible to find it with its engine or chassis number?

2. As far as I learnt, the engine is equipped with indirect injection and it is not a vortec. Is it possible to convert it to a vortec to gain some power and torque with stock conversion? If I can, which parts do I have to change?

3. The engine works well but the acceleration is quite slower than others. What may be the problems or what points do I have to check? (The periodic maintenance is done).

Thanks,
Erman

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I don't know.

2. You have a TBI if it is a 1995. You can get a set of vortec heads, and edelbrock 2114 intake? and a TBI to carb plate adaptor. Also this block may not have a roller cam in it and instead a flat tappet, should be ready for one tho. Also an electric fan setup could help.

3. This is a fairly large rig with a lower output engine (TBI), they have some decent torque but wont be terribly fast (my 95 was pretty slow). What kind of gas mileage do you get? The mud tires probably aren't helping (increase your rolling resistance).