Paint Streaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCYukonDenali

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed hazy streaks in the paint extending from the mirrors down the doors? I don’t know if the streaks are water “spots†or chemicals from a car wash eating away at the clear coat. No amount of hand washing or waxing has removed the streaks. I have noticed at least one other Yukon on the road with similar streaking. It looks bad, but I can’t figure out (1) what is causing it, or (2) how to fix it. Any one have any thoughts?

Thanks.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had some sort of glue type crap over all the chromed pieces like the mirrors, door handle and inside on the door sills

could it be that stuff washing off and eventually go away???

GMCYukonDenali

Reaction score
I am not sure, but I would think that the glue would come off after several washes and waxes, yet I have had no luck. It really looks like something has dulled the paint.

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post up some pics so that we can see what you are describing. Take it to a detailing shop and see what they say.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is probably dried soap residue from the car wash...every damn chevy I have owned just love to collect water in the mirrors and when you drive the air/wind blows them out...I usually use either an air compressor or backpack blower to blow out the mirrors and even then I get some water...I also carry a rag and a bottle of spray wax with me to do some touch ups after a road trip.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a porter cable and the recommended cleaner and polish and you should be cool. obviously this is a very general, unhypothesized statement; however, i'd imagine since you can't damage your car (as long as you don't drop the PC on it) and it doesn't work, you're in the same boat.. but i've seen PC's take out all kind of stuff and the orbital PC's (what you want) won't burn your clear no matter how fast or hard you push in the same area for as long as you want. just my e-pinion..

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Porter Cable 7424, I just ordered one. They are a reputable power tool maker and everything S.V.T. said about it is true.

And yeah I think the after drip from the car wash is carrying with it either soap or grease (or both) from inside the mirror housing.

GMCYukonDenali

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I will try to get some pictures up once the rain stops. I am hopeful that there are some better cleaners/polishes out there. I went to town with turtle wax and didn’t see any difference. It is pretty frustrating—I see the streaks every time I get in.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet it's nothing major. let us know what happens.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am feed up with my Black. The paint on these trucks are ****. I can not get it were I want it to be no matter how many times I clean, wax, and polish it. The paint will not get smooth and the water spots will not go away. I am pretty hardcore detailer too, with seperate everything buckets/washmits/microfibers.

Anyway after I wash it or it rains I get water marks that extend down from the all the cracks. The mirrors and windows. It sucks.

Last edited:

GMCYukonDenali

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great comments and suggestions. I went out this weekend and picked up a bottle of Meguiar’s Scratch X and, to my relief and surprise, it removed all of the haziness from the paint—the streaks are gone! I put a coat of wax on the surfaces to hopefully prevent future streaking, but at least the clear coat doesn’t appear to be damaged like I had originally thought. I do agree that the paint on these new GMs isn’t quite up to par with other manufactures.

Thanks again.