Performance and MPG mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a custom tune on my Tahoe from Justin at Black Bear Performance. Since getting his tune I've seen an increase of 2 MPG. Throttle response is amazing now... I have a Flowmaster 50 SUV installed and an AEM Brute Force CAI waiting to be installed.

was that highway miles / city miles, or combination?

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an overall average.. but mostly highway. My commute to work is 80 miles round trip. I'm averaging 17.5 - 18.2 on most trips with my 17s or my 22s on.

bigdaddy

Reaction score
hey there streetutilityvehicle im running the borla one into two muffler on my 03 Tahoe LT 4X4 with the 5.3 litre. I love the sound, but i cannot comment on the performance since its been on there since i bought it along with the 22" rims. I get 12 MPG in the city consistently and it is the only performance mod on my truck.

bigdaddy

Reaction score
I want to put duals on my yukon. What has the best "throaty" sound in yalls opinion?

Borla all the way. I have the Borla cat back duel pipe set up and its freaking awesome. I get complements from everyone all the time and I have heard so many Flomasters they make me sick!!! If you want your truck to sound like almost every other truck, suv or american sports car out there then buy a Flowmaster. If you want your truck to sound deep and smooth at idle and like a lions visceral growl at wide open whack then get the Borla. The choice is yours---blend into the crowd or STAND IN FRONT OF IT!!!

bigblackchevy

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade the stock muffler on my hoe. Basically looking to open up the exhaust a bit to compliment the TrueFlow SAI I have installed. Basically looking to just open the exhaust to improve air flow and hopefully mpg. I am not looking to break the bank on the muffler and am not looking to wake up the neighborhood. Magnaflow or Flowmaster are the mufflers I've been looking at. Any suggestions between the two.

Right now I avg around 13.5 mpg with the SAI and a performance tune. Although I think part of my problems with mpg increases is that most of my travel is "around town" local driving back and forth to work (7 mi commute with 8 or 9 traffic lights). So I guess most of my fuel goes into getting the darn thing moving, while I'm asking does anyone have any ideas on how to help improve the efficiency during this type of driving...outside of the "get everything out of the car" and maintenance topics which I have pretty much gotten down.

I have the True Flow Intake and Magnaflow CATback setup now. I haven't noticed any gains yet. I'm doing combo driving right now and my mpg is bouncing between 14 and 15 mpg. When it gets below 35 degrees my mpg drops into the 13s. I'm hoping my MPG will improve once the gas switches from the winter blend. In reading some of the other posts, I see I may need to get a programmer :(

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey there streetutilityvehicle im running the borla one into two muffler on my 03 Tahoe LT 4X4 with the 5.3 litre. I love the sound, but i cannot comment on the performance since its been on there since i bought it along with the 22" rims. I get 12 MPG in the city consistently and it is the only performance mod on my truck.

What gear ratio and size tires are you running?

I consistantly get a little over 12mpg with 4:10's and 285/50/20's

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping my MPG will improve once the gas switches from the winter blend.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here - but that just won't happen.

Typically, winter blends just have Butane added to them, which is one of the primary reasons why winter gas is cheaper. Butane, typically, would decrease gas mileage because it has less energy than gasoline.

However, in the summer, the blends cost more because of the additives required to the RVP within government specs (basically, ensuring the gas won't emit excess vapors into the air when temps go over 100). These additives typically reduce gas mileage, as well as the extra ethanol that's added to the gas during summer months - ethanol also has less energy than gasoline.

So, typically, your gas mileage isn't going to increase because of the gasoline, itself. But it might increase due to your engine getting to operating temperature quicker.