Power liftgate and bumper contact???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARGH....

The liftgate is rubbing the bumper when using the power option. the dealer is giving me some line about "almost all of them do that", and they adjusted the bumper, but it is still slightly rubbing. (noticed AFTER i got it home)

Anyone else have this issue? Just curious what actions were taken to resolve

Thanks,

John

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, have same issue...was told same basic answer, so I am just letting it rub...making a nice black mark (leasing, so as long as my complaint is on the record, they can worry about it when they want to). Mine's been doing it since new...if you watch the gate as it starts to up, it kinda shakes from the load and makes contact with the bumper cover (mine does it on the left side, not right).

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine is on the drivers side (left) as well. They said it is because of the actuator being on that side, and mine also has a shimmy when opening, and also jerks a little to the left when closing.

I hate having to "figure" this out for them, but i wonder if a NON rubbing one has the shimmy or jerk? Maybe there is something with the shocks and resistance or something? I dunno.

I think the thing that is irritating me the most is that the body guy was trying to "deny" fixing it as he was trying to explain how it is a "wearable" item or something... Wasnt until i pointed to the TEMP tag on the truck that he said "Oh, it's new".. And here i thought bumper to bumper actually covered the bumpers :rolleyes:

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just rolled 39,000 and no issues (07 tahoe)

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer fixed mine. Driver’s side lower side edge of the tailgate was rubbing against the side of the bumper. All the dealer had to do was loosen the screws holding the bumper fascia and re-adjust so no more contact was being made. They did have to repaint a small section of that bumper though. Give them hell if they refuse to fix. Get the general manager of the dealership to look at the issue. In my case, I have delt with the general manager of the dealership in regards to my 04 Tahoe and we are now on a first name basis. Whenever she sees me at the dealership, she goes out of her way to make sure everything is ok. We should not have to deal with fit and finish issues like these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!