Real World Gas Mileage for your 5.3's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ockevin

Reaction score
I am running a setup from UniversalAirsuspension.com

Its a bag over the shock up front and replaced the rear coil with a firestone air bag in the rear. I am running twin Viair 450 compressors and a 5 gallon tank.

Pretty simple setup, two switches in the cockpit for front and rear...No need for side to side or hopping.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe Z71 with the 4.10 diff and average about 15.6 mpg mostly city driving. For the brief stint on the highway, I was able to get ~22 mpg in V4 mode at ~65 mph. Any faster, V8 mode would kick in and mileage varied from 15 to 19 mpg.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's getting better!

With 6000 miles on the clock, I got a hand calculated 22.1 mpg on a long trip over the weekend. That was exit ramp to exit ramp, and keeping it at 65-70. Once off the interstates, the mileage takes a hit. I notice that it stays in V4 in terrain where it would previously jump to V8. I'm happy!

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that is what I am talking about! Now Hardin, what gears do you have? Oh and about how fast were you going, I assume you were in cruise?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.73 rear, was doing 65-70, andwas in cruise 90% of the time, 60 degree temps, and 10% ethanol gasoline. Has anyone else noticed the Tahoe is a good "coaster"?

bgbpmp

Reaction score
I took my first trip in mine and was extremely happy with the mpg. 330 mile trip one way and average 26mpg to the beach and 19 on the way back. drasticly better than the 13-14 I had been getting. That is with 5 adults and luggage with 22" wheels. This is by far the best traveling vehicle I have owned.

czar97

Reaction score
26 MPG. What. Please tell me this is a 2 wheel drive.

bgbpmp

Reaction score
yep it's 2wd. I was shocked, I was careful to check by resetting the computer and calculated it myself once I was there. The trip is mainly small 2 lane roads so had to slow down in a couple of small towns but had the cruise set around 65 90% of the time. Figure the economy change on the way back was due to a lot more aggressive driving through heavier traffic.

Seats9

Reaction score
Driving around town has settled in at 18.7. Not as well as I would have liked. I have never owned a big truck or SUV so maybe I should be happy. My LS has the 3.42 rear end, so I guess it may not do as well as the 3.73.
I still love the truck!
David

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
burb MPG

Have a new 2007 4x4 3.73 'burb. Average MPG is close to 20 @ 70 % highway. Computer and hand calc are identical. 4 cyl mode is active at 70 % @65 MPH which significantly improved MPG when on. My guess is about 30-40 % better. Guess you Tahoe guys can easily get 1 better than I do.

Jim

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Just passed 20 MPG average. This is at 5000 mi so far. Very pleased.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.73 rear, was doing 65-70, andwas in cruise 90% of the time, 60 degree temps, and 10% ethanol gasoline. Has anyone else noticed the Tahoe is a good "coaster"?

Yep. Going downhill with no accel., I usually overtake other vehicles that aren't braking. My TrailBlazer was the same way. But then the Tahoe weighs over 5K lbs so it ought to coast pretty well.

Still getting no better than 13 in town and about 17 hwy at 65 on cruise. Don't see V4 over 55 either (3.73 gears). After I put back the stock program, I can't get V4 on level at any speed. I still think there's something screwy with their V4 alogorithm. :confused2:

czar97

Reaction score
Seems like quite a range in mileage from all of you. I would think that the findings would be a bit closer. With that said, there are so many different ways each of you drive.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Have a new 2007 4x4 3.73 'burb. Average MPG is close to 20 @ 70 % highway. Computer and hand calc are identical. 4 cyl mode is active at 70 % @65 MPH which significantly improved MPG when on. My guess is about 30-40 % better. Guess you Tahoe guys can easily get 1 better than I do.

Jim[/QUOTE
Wow our first 900 series Suburban owner on the forums, welcome!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like quite a range in mileage from all of you. I would think that the findings would be a bit closer. With that said, there are so many different ways each of you drive.

I can see that in town but on the highway with cruise control, I'd think they should be a lot closer at the same speed. And in town, I've tried driving very conservatively and still doesn't help. I didn't buy it for great mpg but I've always been able to get the EPA ratings in previous vehicles.

Kind of ironic that got better mileage when gas was reasonable and now that it's $3.39 and rising, I get crappy mileage. :mad2:

Sound_Designer

Reaction score
Just to add more data...

My wife & aunt drove our 2007 LTZ (two-wheel drive/3.73) from Atlanta to Los Angeles last week and the trip computer gave them a 15.8 mile average over the 2,200 or so miles. We bought this from my aunt and has 15,000 miles.

I was kinda surprised at how low mileage was considering it was 90% highway driving.

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add more data...

My wife & aunt drove our 2007 LTZ (two-wheel drive/3.73) from Atlanta to Los Angeles last week and the trip computer gave them a 15.8 mile average over the 2,200 or so miles. We bought this from my aunt and has 15,000 miles.

I was kinda surprised at how low mileage was considering it was 90% highway driving.

Did the V4 mode ever come on? I would say it sounds a lot like driving habits. For example I drive a V6 buick century right now and when my wife drives it in stop and go traffic it gets about 24MPG and when I drive it on the freeway in light traffic in cruise control at 70 it get over 30MPG! If I am more aggresive and drive 80 or 85 (don't tell the cops!) then I lose about 3-4 MPG. I have a friend who drives a newer GTO and the same story, drive 70 and he gets 3 MPG more then driving at 80 on the freeway.

Sound_Designer

Reaction score
They aren't so technically inclined and I don't think they had the V8/V4 display on but I'm guessing with the 3.73 ratio, the V4 wouldn't come on at highway speeds as much as other gearing options.

When I drive it around town, I've been monitoring the V8/V4 DIC Screen and do notice it kick on quite a bit but that's at speeds < 50 mph.

As far as driving styles go, they are legal eagles and prolly averaged 65 MPH most of the way. In the end, my biggest guess is 70% gearing ratios and 30% driver habit.

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2200 mi is a long stretch, whow. As for the 4 cyl mode I noticed that it comes on on flat streets no matter going in between 45 to 70 MPH. As soon as the road ascendes it will switch to 8 cyl rapidly dropping MPG. This for my 5.3l 'burb. Tahoes might switch later.

Jim