Real world towing experience with Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markiv396

Reaction score
I am looking for some first hand experience with Tahoe owners towing travel trailers. I have been using my Silverado with our 19' TT but would like to start using the Tahoe. I realize the rated capacity is slightly lower but I am curious how they handle the load. Any ideas would be appreciated.:rolleyes2:

StL07Tahoe

Reaction score
I have used my '07 Tahoe to pull a 12' enclosed trailer as well as a 22' Tri-log pontoon boat. The Tahoe handled very well with both, but as you can imagine, the pontoon boat was a little harder with wind resistance. When the enclosed trailer was empty, it tended to bounce around more and I felt it tugging more than when it was full. I average about 14 mpg when towing both of the trailers.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hauled a 7x12 open trailer with two motorcycles and gear on it and averaged 15mpg.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Sunday I pulled a 18' covered trailer (empty) across Illinois on i-74. Traveling East to West with a 25+mph South crosswind I averaged 10mpg at 70mph. The crosswind kept her from holding overdrive due to the resistance (i-74 is pretty much flat prarie driving) so that figure is in 3rd gear.

With a tailwind at 55mph I was getting 18mpg in overdrive.

I've got a 4x2 with 3.42 gears if that matters. For reference I normally get 13.5 city and 18 highway running e10 with no trailer.

A J

Last edited:

Auburn

Reaction score
We have a 20 foot enclosed slant nose trailer that we pull our Nissan 350z roadster show car in. We have a weight distributing hitch, sway control, the 3.73 rear end, and an electric brake. We have traveled from Atlanta to St Louis, Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Memphis, and Fontana NC (Tail of the Dragon).

The sway control really helps as does the slant nose. The electric brake having a lever to apply additional brake really helped going down mountains.

When the trailer is empty it does tend to bounce around a bit more. It is a much more stable set up with the car in the trailer.

The only time we had issues was going over the mountains to get to Fontana. The truckers were having problems too so it was the grade that was the problem. When we topped one mountain crest we were only able to do 25 mph even though we started the mountain going 60. The truckers were going even slower.

Our setup is towing right under 7k lbs and we tow fine. The mileage is probably around 11 or 12 especially since we have mountains/hills as soon as we leave Atlanta.