Rear Defrost Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkroulik

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my rear defroster. Only half of it works. The passenger side is not working. I have the split rear doors. When you open the doors on the driver side there are two little metal prongs that get pushed in when the door closes, and there are two little metal plates on the inside of the door. On the passenger side there are 5 prongs but only 4 little plates. Should there be 5? All the little plates are on a single removeable piece that screws into the door. If I am missing one, I assume I will need that entire piece, but what is it called? And where can I get just that piece? Thanks for the help. I hope I explained it when enough.

Mike

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the driver's side rear door, there are 2 electrical prongs. Both are for the rear window defroster.

On the passenger's side, there are 4 electrical prongs and one plunger switch.
2 electrical prongs are for the defroster. 2 are for the power door lock. The plunger switch is to turn on the interior lights.

Which side works? Which doesn't? Did you clean the contacts?

Hardwarz

mudmyhoe

Reaction score
Another simple thing to think about is, if you had a sticker on the window at one point in time. I have seen rear defrosters not working because a removed sticker broke the connection.

I have seen the contacts go bad, not sure the name of the part. You can always take it to the dealer, have them give you a quote. Then look it up online and get it for half the price.

mkroulik

Reaction score
The passenger side doesn't work. I have tried cleaning the contacts, and I have never had any stickers on it. I assume then that the bottom plunger is for the lights, since it does not have a plate to terminate to when the door is closed. Any other ideas?

Mike

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The passenger side doesn't work. I have tried cleaning the contacts, and I have never had any stickers on it. I assume then that the bottom plunger is for the lights, since it does not have a plate to terminate to when the door is closed. Any other ideas?

Mike

Have a multi meter? Check for voltage with the switch on. Check for continuity at the door half of the connector. That will determin what you need to do next.

Hardwarz