Rear diff drain plug hell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 T-HOE LS

Reaction score
Went to replace my rear diff fluid today while I was doing some other stuff and had the rear wheels off, and totally destroyed the drain plug. Even though I cleaned it up and used Break Away prior to trying to loosen it up, it completely stripped out.
I tried heating it with a propane torch(all I have), chiseling a notch in the plug and trying to rotate it out with a punch/hammer, and grabbing the few threads that stick out with vise grips, but nothing is working. :nonod:

Anyone have any other suggestion on how to get this thing out? :confused:

I was also wondering if I can fill the rear end up by using the vent in the top of the housing. I'd have to take off the rear cover to drain, and measure the exact 5.5 pints to refill, but it's looking like my only option if some amazing idea doesn't present itself.
Thanks for any ideas.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've got the same prob.. and i used the vent hole my-self

95 T-HOE LS

Reaction score
Cool.
I was hoping I could use the vent, since I noticed it doesn't go directly into the pig after taking the diff cover off. I'll do this until I get motivated enough to drill out the plug and re-tap the hole.
Thanks.