Replace Oil Pan gasket 1999 Tahoe 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsamole

Reaction score
How to remove oil pan gasket on a 1999 Tahoe 4x4 with trailer towing package.

I just completed replacing the oil pan gasket and though I’d write about the process while it is still fresh in my mind. First of all use Felpro oil pan gasket kit Part number OS34500R. This kit has a nifty device called “Snapup†this will hold the oil pan gasket in place with a Snapup in each corner and the holds up the oil pan up while you insert the side bolts. My Tahoe has a plastic Timing Cover and the oil pan gasket fits in a slot on the bottom of the Timing Cover. So if you are replacing both the Timing Cover and oil pan gasket the Timing Cover must be installed first.

Remove negative cable from battery. (Avoid deployment of air bags.)

Remove the oil level indicator tube. (This is necessary since the oil level indicator tube goes through a hold in the oil pan gasket.)

Raise the vehicle. (Use jack stands.)

Remove front wheels. (Gives you more room to work.)

Remove the engine oil and the engine oil filter. (The oil pan lighter will be lighter and you cleaner.)

Remove support rods one on each side of engine. (Provides access. (bold and nut on one end and nut on the other end.))

Remove the oil filter adapter. (This will get the oil cooler lines out from under the oil pan. Note just remove the adapter (two bolts) and tie it to the frame out of the way.)

Remove the starter. (Necessary since the starter goes through a hole in the flywheel inspection cover (two bolts). Also tie to frame out of the way and leave cables attached.)

Remove the flywheel inspection cover. (Allows access to the rear oil pan bolts. (four screws).

GM Document ID# 332474 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD states “Remove the engine mount through bolts. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement . Raise and support the engine. “
I found it easier to remove the four bolts holding the front axle and dropping axel the with a floor jack about 2 inches until it hit a support bracket. Others have stated that removing only the 2 bolts on the drivers side will work.

Remove the four bolts on the axel side of the front drive shaft universal joint. (This will allow the axel to be pushed forward providing room for the oil pan to drop out. You may need to turn the steering wheel.)

Remove the oil pan. (Clean the oil pan and block and right before reinstalling wipe down matting surfaces with Acetone.)

This turned out to be a long and dirty project about 12 hours. I did need my wife’s help to reinstall the oil level indicator tube.