Replacing Hybrd lightweight aluminum wheels....feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I want to replace the lightweight aluminum wheels on my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid.

Anyone know how much they weigh?

I am curious to how much of a difference there really is between them and say an 18-inch chrome set.

I am not looking to go crazy but would like to put some 18-inch chromes rims on it and then use the same low resistance tires.

I checked and it looks like the bolt patter is the same so there really should not be an issue.

I know I may lose a little bit of MPG but overall it would be worth it to me.

Any feedback?

Also, would some Escalade takeoffs from 07 or 08 work on the Tahoe?

What should I look for in terms of offsets, etc?

I want to be able to use my existing tires since they are still brand new (and I just had to replace one of them). P265 / 65R-18

Looking at these:
ag57.jpg

I will of course replace the center caps. :)

Thanks!

JW

Last edited:

1stimeyukon

Reaction score
i saw a video on youtube of chevy demonstrating the hybrid at an auto show and the guy said it saves like 15 pounds from all four wheels. so its roughly 3.5-4 pounds a wheel

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hows ur gas on that hybrid!??? How often would u say u fill up???

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tires should work but i cant guarantee anything.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found someone local on craigslist that has the Escalade 18s for $400. (07 takeoffs)

I will try them out at that price!

I get around 19.5 MPG average right now and I have a pretty good lead foot. :)

They even have the clear caps.

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
As far as I can tell my hybrid is getting 19 around town and 22+ on the highway depending on heaviness of foot. With 1000 miles on the odometer I got 24.5 on a 250 mile 2 lane trip across the ozarks from Rogers, AR through Eureka Springs to Mountain Home AR and back. Not soft pedalling - always keeping up with traffic and occasional pass of slowpokes.

IMHO I would not want to replace 18" hybrid wheels with 18" chromed wheels - the 'gap' between fender and tire is pretty big as it is and you would just drag more attention to that area. You might find some 20" oem or Caddy take offs but that possibly could mess with the hybrid programming.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO I would not want to replace 18" hybrid wheels with 18" chromed wheels - the 'gap' between fender and tire is pretty big as it is and you would just drag more attention to that area. You might find some 20" oem or Caddy take offs but that possibly could mess with the hybrid programming.

The wheel wells have always bugged me.

Why did they make them so big on the Hybrid!??!?!?!

Regardless, these factory wheels have to go IMO. I will post some pics once I have the new rims.

Found some new takeoffs WITH tires for $600. Why not at that price when tires themselves are $150 each....

Last edited:

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, my 20" OEM chrome wheels and stock tires weighed between 79 and 81 lbs. each.

I bought some 17" alloy rims and winter tires, and the combo weighed about 70 lbs. each.

If you get a shop to take off your hybrid wheels/tires, bring a bathroom scale along so that you can weigh them. It would be interesting to know what they weighed.

stevetut

Reaction score
yeah i har ya - i wanted to replace the grandpa wheels at first too but theyve grown on me. i just wanted to replace them with some factory 20s/tires from the LTZ but maybe ill wait. i dont need another project so ill fight the urge for now. give them some time.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the 18" Escalade wheels installed yesterday and they look SOOOO much better!

I will try to take some pics this weekend.

:)

They really brought the entire look of the car together!

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys,

Here are the pics of the Tahoe with new 18" chrome Escalade wheels.

World of difference IMO.

Enjoy the pics:

tahoe1sv1.jpg

tahoe2mn3.jpg

tahoe3ed3.jpg

tahoe4ow5.jpg

tahoe5rq7.jpg